Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Travel Tuesday - June 2011 Dallas Texas


 For most of the last 21 years, the majority of my work has been outside funded, by grants and contracts for research and training. The projects tend to be cyclical, at the moment I have proposals pending for a 2 year project, a 3 year project and a 5 year project. If all of them are funded, my job is stable past my retirement date and I can start planning a kitchen replacement.   

When I started my current job, a new 3 year funding cycle just getting started. Three year later we were bidding on another three years.  This is where I was standing when I got the email informing me that I was funded for another three years.  It is an art museum in Dallas.  I was there training at a conference a couple of blocks away.  I had written every word, was responsible for every typo in the proposal.  It was a large amount of money.  I was so pleased, I may have shed a tear or three. This photo reminds me of a major milestone in my career.   

15 comments:

  1. What a beautiful way to remember such a momentous day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Images are strong memory triggers for me

      Delete
  2. Anonymous6/15/2021

    What a nice memory and reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A couple of like that and I will wrap up this career

      Delete
  3. Bright and cheery! The perfect accompaniment to a good memory!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice memory. This looks like there was a drunken celebratory party involved, followed by the throwing of cocktail umbrellas at the window. Sometimes I suffer from terminal whimsey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should be a glassblower

      Delete
    2. As clumsy as I am, I would probably accidently suck instead of blow. I really don't want a mouthful of molten liquid. Funny that way you know.

      Delete
    3. I have never heard how Dale Chihuly ended up with one eye, but I can imagine it was unpleasant.

      Delete
  5. That's a great way to remember a milestone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is often fun to slip away to a museum for an hour

      Delete