Saturday, June 05, 2021

The Saturday Morning Post - May Mornings in Dyke Marsh

 I continue my nearly daily, morning walks in the National Wildlife Refuge at Dyke Marsh on the shores of the Potomac River just south of Old Town Alexandria, Virginia. In another month, this will have been my morning routine for a year.  I have over 10,000 photos. This month everything turned green, filled in, flowered, and the birds fledged. A family of Owls dominated interest the last couple of weeks of the month, with three "chicks" and the two adults hanging out in the trees near the entrance, drawing lots of attention.  The 17 year cicadas are here, making noise and love in the trees.  Providing a feast for the birds.  Here is my monthly indulgence with far too many photos.  























An immature eagle taking flight.  This year's hatchlings started flying this month, leaving the nest often empty. 

  














15 comments:

  1. Anonymous6/05/2021

    One particular photo caught my eye. Owls are vicious killers yet everyone, myself included seem to like them. Are people photographing the owls?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The owls have become regional celebrities, drawing as many as a dozen photographers, some from a 250 miles away.

      Delete
  2. Great photos and not too many. The wildlife views are wonderful, including the common but always pleasant to see Gray-Rumped Runner. A very nice example, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will keep my eye out for more of those.

      Delete
  3. Loved the flora and fauna and the curvaceous Rumper.

    Carlos may see these photos, though I will quickly bypass the snake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like there's at least one LGBTQ+ person at the marina!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The amount of wildlife you get to see is amazing. I love the owls but I think my favorite was the woodpecker shot. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When home last the cicadas were relentless. We couldn't even sit out at night as they were coming up out of the ground and on everything, reading for their change...

    Our 2 eaglets blew the coop weeks ago. The eagle couple is relaxing, before they start to rebuild the nest for the next brood next year. The same couple as been here now since 2015

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Humans are normally only empty nesters once

      Delete
  7. I liked the owls best.

    ReplyDelete