Thursday, June 03, 2021

Thursday Ramble- What I Have Been Thinking About

I have train tickets and hotel reservations for a few days in New York in late August. Plans are being made for lunch with a dear blogger who will be in from out of town, and a meet up with a dear friend that moved from Oakland, CA to NYC this past year.  I made cancelable plans.  I felt giddy about making travel plans. It has been a long 16 months, I am ready to return to travel.  

I have been debating potential retirement dates. I am leaning in the direction of sooner, rather than later.  Still 26 months down the road.  Yes, I am counting, and Yes I do have a date on my calendar.  

I took an extra long weekend last weekend, adding Friday to the three day "holiday" weekend.  The first morning I slept 1 1/2 hours later than usual, the second morning an hour later than usual. My office changed the policy on carrying paid time off forward, limiting it to 4 weeks and changed it from a once a year use it or lose it, to an accrual cap, meaning when I reach that point I stop earning time, until I have taken time to get me back below the limit.  This will force me to take about 5 weeks of paid time off each year.  I have a few more extra long weekends coming up, and a week off in July and one in August.  The change was made to satisfy the bean counters that had a large pool of money set aside for unused paid time off, that they wanted to dip into, or write off onto the available to spend ledger.  I hate the reason, but wish people took time off because they have earned, they need it, they deserve it, and not worry that the world will come to an end if they are not there. In Lexington I was told that I was irreplaceable, I had over six months of accrued unused paid time off when I left, they replaced me in less than three weeks.    

YouTube has become my go to for mindless entertainment.  One of my favorites is two guys living on a narrow boat in England.  The story telling and photography is simply spectacular. If you have 20 minutes for an informative, fun, and often relaxing ramble down the canals and towpaths of life, they post every Friday afternoon. 
https://www.youtube.com/c/FoxesAfloat/featured 

Last weekend was kinda rough.  Anne Marie dying was a shock.  I knew she had faced some health challenges, but as Todd said, she never realized how sick she was. She will be missed.  A high school friend of mine died, Carol had been in the hospital for over two months with Covid, was transferred to larger city hospital a few weeks ago.  She had heart and breathing problems, had been sick for a couple of years.  Health conditions that made Covid deadly serious.  She was a political liberal, living in right-wing-nutter-land.  

Take care of yourself.  Have fun! Take no prisoners.  








 

15 comments:

  1. SG is hooked on the two guys in a narrow boat! I never had to be forced to take time off. Working at universities gave me incredible benefits. Going back to the private sector after all those years was painful. My last employer was especially chintzy. So sorry about the loss of another friend. Anne Marie's death has impacted so many people. What a generous, kind-hearted, powerhouse she was. 26 months til retirement? Do you REALLY have to hold until you're 40?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6/03/2021

    Ann Marie must have been quite something from what I have read on a number of blogs. Sad, and sad about your friend. The really big smoke for you then. How wonderful. NYC is really not like the rest of America, is it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NYC is no more like the rest of America, than London is like Yorkshire, or Paris is like Normandy.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous6/04/2021

      Good point.

      Delete
  3. No one is irreplaceable in the workforce. Lots of people don't believe that (or don't want to believe that) but it is true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I denied a promotion and told I was irreplaceable about a year before I left.

      Delete
  4. First, now that you've sucked me into the vortex, you may have more than 26 months to retirement . . . . .

    Second, since you're headed down the YouTube rabbit hole, our family heartily recommends a BBC show on YouTube called Taskmaster. I may have already told you about it, but it's a rather absurd British "game show" involving comedians trying to complete very odd tasks, usually with side splittingly hilarious results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time will fly when we are having fun.

      Delete
  5. Congrats on the travel plans. I was talking to a friend about a trip to NYC possibly in October. We'll see if that pans out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made sure my plans are refundable, or changeable.

      Delete
  6. I can't help myself, but every time I post since I heard the news, I wonder what Anne Marie would say.
    Luckily, having her follow the blog as long as she did, I kinda know, so I hear it in my head!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was one of my most reliable commentators, always had something reinforcing to say

      Delete
  7. It's hard to believe that Anne Marie is gone. I miss her a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a shock, looking at it, I kinda knew she was not well, but this was unexpected. Seize the day, take no prisoners

      Delete