Wednesday, November 04, 2020

The Way We Were Wednesday - Brothers


The child on the left is my oldest brother.  He will be I think 69 this month.  I see his posts on Facebook from time to time, but seldom hear from him.  He has made his own path in life.  He moved away from home soon after finishing high school, making his away across the country and living in Seattle for a few months.  He returned home that fall, with a high draft lottery number and enlisted in the Navy.  He spent a few couple of years in southeast Asia, then re-enlisted and spent a few years on the east coast including a deployment to the Mediterranean.  He has lived and worked all over north America.  Reportedly he turned 50 in Mexico City.  He lived with my parents the last couple of years of their lives.  Then bought a small place in Florida where he lives.  He and I are very different, different politics, different personalities, different challenges in life.  I need to remember to send a birthday card.  

Do you have family members you only hear from on social media?  

 

12 comments:

  1. Anonymous11/04/2020

    Not family members, but more distant relatives. Personalities are one thing, but I would have thought brothers raised with similar standards and values would have similar politics. I assume the worst about your brother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I became enlightened in my late 20's, many remained cavemen

      Delete
  2. Cousins. Too bad about your brother. Kind of you to still send a birthday card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes ...it’s the way of the world x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So it is, for years I thought it was my duty to always reach out, then one day I realized the post runs in both directions.

      Delete
  4. nope; I'm not on social media and I h8 all my blood family. we have not spoken/seen each other in years. I like it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have a Facebook account any longer so I don't communicate with anyone that way. The only relatives I don't talk to regularly are very distant. I talk with both of my sisters regularly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I periodically think about bailing on FB.

      Delete
  6. I have both close and extended family members I haven't seen or heard from in years and that's just fine with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a few I avoid, for health reasons,

      Delete