Wednesday, November 25, 2020

The Way We Were Wednesday - Weddings

I have not been to a lot of weddings. The first would have been my Aunt Edith, I was about 5 and ring bearer- I was cute.  Someplace I still have the little satin pillow the rings were on.  I remember going to a wedding as a very young child- a great-uncle's son- in a Catholic Church in Detroit.  As I recall we left the reception early, my mother couldn't bear the thought of four children at a reception.  Then my sister's (both of hers 35 years apart.) My first one. One of my Ex's sisters. My second - the one that worked. 

There is something I like about two people making a public commitment to love one another.  I think most people go a lot over the top in clothing and locations and food and booze.  

I enjoy bumping into people taking wedding photos in public places.  I have never crashed a wedding, but I have come close.  The photo above was taken a few years ago in Rome.  

Have you been to a lot of weddings or few?  

23 comments:

  1. I've been to about 14 weddings. From small and intimate to over the top...but all beautiful in there own right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a few, and my own. It was under a tree in a park. We wore jeans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We obtained a permit from the National Parks Service for Jones Point, under the bridge in Alexandria.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous11/25/2020

    Not many. I've done as you did here and in Lisbon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been to many, but rarely enjoyed them. Especially once I came out of the closet. I would always be angry and resentful that it was something "they" could do and I could not. I haven't been to one since gay marriage was legalised in the States. Might be a different feeling now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only March on Washington that I have ever taken part in, was for marriage equality, I had no real hope that the law would change. So glad it did.

      Delete
  5. I’ve been to a few weddings (7? 8?), including my own. I like the commitment but not the over the top fanfare. (Ours was small, simple, inexpensive, and short.) I’ve been surprised by some invitations I received, and surprised by some I didn’t. I’m hoping I have no more to attend. Not my thing.

    Sassybear
    Www.Idleeyesandadormy.Com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back in the 1970's my father struck a deal with my sister, keep the wedding simple, and he'd give her a car. She needed the car, more than the big show.

      Delete
  6. perhaps 10 or fewer weddings.

    did 2 of my own; "parents" paid for the first one (small [under 100 people], no booze or band or photographer), todd and I paid for the second one (small [110 people], no booze, did have friends for DJ, photographer & video guy). the first one lasted 9 years, the second one has lasted 28 years and counting...

    simple and small is better then over-the-top spectacles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I paid for both of mine, both were small, we knew everyone at our wedding, I thought that was neat.

      Delete
    2. we knew everyone at wedding #2; it was a multi-cultural affair.

      Delete
  7. I don't know if I'd call it a lot but I've been to a few and been in a couple. I was in both of my sisters weddings, one marriage that is still going and one that failed years ago. None for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never been in one, unless I was the one saying I do.

      Delete
  8. I've been to my fair share of weddings over the years. I like same-sex weddings best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only same sex wedding I have been to was my own.

      Delete
  9. You're still cute! (Good to know you think the second one worked... 😘)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very few. The second one I was best man - without knowing a thing about duties, including the toast. Which didn't happen. Because I didn't know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could have been funny, how’s the nose?

      Delete