Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Take A Break When You Need It


One of the joys of a long and trusting relationship, is a level of trust that makes it possible for someone to say, "have you been feeling down recently and you have been kind of terse." A quick thought, and WH was right.  The routine has been getting to me.  I miss traveling and the adventure of a change of pace. I arranged to go into the office for a couple of hours to pick up and drop off a few things one day last week, but that didn't do it.  So I emailed the boss that I needed a couple of "mental health" days, and took Friday and Monday off.  

A few years ago I did a blog post about calling in mentally ill, and it drew criticism that I wasn't taking mental illness seriously.  I meant no offence and won't call this that.  But I think that we need to take a break and seek balance when we notice that things are getting out of balance.  

This has been an interesting and challenging year.  Working at home, makes taking a day off less different than it did when I was not working at home. I remember asking cousin Bill how he liked retirement, his response was "it is great, but you never get a day off." We need to create our day off.  I need to take steps to differentiate being home and not working, from being home and working.  It started with shutting off my office email, and sending messages to key people that I was taking a couple of personal days (I bowed out of one meeting that I was dreading as there is a pissing match going on over leadership - when they have finished the squabble I will be glad to help with programing.) Then I thought of what have I not done? I have not had my car washed, it needed it (actually both of them did.) There is a little random shopping to do.  Oh, and my morning started off with a temporary crown popping off during breakfast, for the second time.  I should be in the chair having the permanent crown glued on as you read this Tuesday morning. 

Take a day off, 

Get out for a long walk, or roll, 

Take a drive, 

Do a little shopping,  

Listen to music that makes you happy,

Think about end of the year traditions, 

Remember, few people ever die, being proud of all of the unused vacation leave, sick leave, and paid personal leave they are leaving behind.  

When was the last time you took a day off, just because you needed it? 

17 comments:

  1. I think the hardest part for me when I got laid off was finding my way. Without work...I went with it for the first month. But then I ended up doing the volunteering at the ASPCA. To give the appearance of "working" I do that and all house chores, and errands during the week, and my evenings and weekends still open to give some kind of routine or "days off". It's also not healthy to just sit indoors either. Get out and walk and get fresh air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get out for a walk generally every day, unless the weather is terrible.

      Delete
  2. I used to call them "mental health days." I've taken a few, that's for sure. Now, in retirement there's no need. Retirement is 24/7. Best job I ever had!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About three years for me to retire.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous11/17/2020

    I used to often enough take a day off when I felt like I needed it.
    An interesting quote I read today was in your old age you will regret what you said no to, rather than what you said yes to. I need to think about that.
    Now, get that car washed, even if you have to do it with a bucket and sponge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had all three cars washed - so much better.

      Delete
  4. I would very much take issue with the person who complained about "belittling" mental illness. Apparently that person never had to deal with depression.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always try to see it through the other person's eyes,

      Delete
  5. It's cooled off enough here that I can start walking the neighborhood again. That should help break up the monotony. My boss is taking next week off and she said the only difference will be she won't set the alarm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to set the alarm about 11 years ago, and discovered that I could by just fine without it, unless I have an early morning flight.

      Delete
  6. been unemployed since june 30. threw myself into knitting hats for the homeless in my city; I currently have 10 hats. I go to the grocery store for a change of scenery. I have kept up with my MD appointments. I've had haircuts. a drive to the local post office is an outing.

    when I was employed, I would take "mental health" days to reset my battery. it always worked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hats will be greatly appreciated. They keep you warm by making them, and they will keep someone warm when needed. I haven't had a haircut since January, I order stamps online, I need to get out more.

      Delete
  7. The last time I needed to have a "mental health day" was when I was working. Blissfully retired for 3 years, I have no need for one now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Every Monday, when Balder Half goes back to work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy a day alone once in a while.

      Delete
  9. wise indeed
    I have to literally coax and browbeat folks into taking time off. They fear if they do they will lose their job, or not look good, or the boss will discover the place can do without them.
    Another neurosis is people see being always busy as a bent status symbol of success.

    ReplyDelete