Saturday, November 14, 2020

Osprey Sightings


There are two varieties of Osprey that if I am lucky I get to see along the River.  One nests on posts or dead trees, usually over the water and fishes in the River.  The other one occupies a military base downstream, and commutes to a tiny facility on the River across from National Airport.  One is a graceful flyer, the other one is constantly trying to find a way to fall over and beat itself to death.  Tilt rotor sounded great in theory, looked okay on paper, is a nightmare in the real world. I thought we had quit flying these beasts.  

Have you seen an Osprey in flight?    
 

11 comments:

  1. the birdie yes, the machine no.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only the first kind and on a nest feeding young. Magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to nesting season

      Delete
  3. when i was young, abd dreamed of being a comic book artist, Icreated binders full of superhero names and costume sketches. i loved winged heroes and searched the Encyclopedia for heretofor unused bird names for a new superhero. I discovered the Osprey and was immediately fascinated with the name and look. I immediately created the superhero Osprey and just knew it was going to be my brake out character. I have not thought about that in years, and this post brought it all back. Thanks for the reminder! I mayjust have to sketch up a current version to honor the memory.

    Sassybear
    www.idleeyesandadormy.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not seen one around here. I see plenty of Hueys and Apaches out here. The bird is a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bird is a water bird, unlikely to be in the dessert. I think the Marines are the only one's flying the tilt rotor design, Quantico is not far down river.

      Delete
  5. I am having problems commenting on my blog on my iPad, very strange

    ReplyDelete