Saturday, November 21, 2020

Boats


 I have never owned a boat, but I have dreamed about it.  I love being out on the water.  I have found memories growing up of time on Uncle Dick's boat, very distant memories of Great-Uncle LeRoy's cabin cruiser (sold when I was probably 7 or 8.) 

During my prosperous years in Florida, years when it would have been easy to own a boat, and with lots of water around, my then spouse couldn't swim and objected to the idea of a boat.  In Kentucky there was a lack of navigable water around, really only the Kentucky River and the sections of that near us, had dams and locks that were no longer functional, restricting you to a relatively short and narrow section of river.  

My daily walks along the Potomac bring back dreams of a boat.  Either a very small one, or a very large one.  The river is broad, but only deep in the middle, a very small boat opens the possibility of exploring the shallows.  Oh, and it has to be a power boat.  I want it to go where I point it to go when I point it that way.  Sailing looks like the most frustrating thing for me, having to go one way to tack back to get where you wanted to go.  

For you, would it be a power boat or a sailboat, or no boat at all? 

17 comments:

  1. Anonymous11/21/2020

    A small power boat. What we call a tinny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd probably go sailboat, or perhaps look for friends with a sailboat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No boat at all for me! I'm more of a solid ground person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a friend who lives in Phoenix who owns a boat, the nearest place she can put it in the water is like 90 minutes away.

      Delete
  4. I used to (100 years ago) sail every weekend with friends who had a 30-foot boat. It was bliss. So, for me, definitely a sailboat. But a big one that someone else sailed and maintained for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never understood the allure of boats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A hole in the water into which you pour money, and then glide over the water.

      Delete
  6. Give me a ship or no deal! As much as I love being on or near water, small boats of any kind promote sea sickness. One cannot enjoy being on water if one is puking one's innards out! I got sea sickness only once on a big ship. Slice or two of apple and a piece of ginger candy took care of that , pronto. Boats are like cars to me, don't wanna wear one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing less than 900 feet, with stabilizers. Jay and I went on a Whale Watching tour in Washington State. The weather was miserable, and people were leaning over the rail, as I sat there eating clam-chowder.

      Delete
    2. Clam chowder? In front of people puking their guts out? You are EEEVIL! I like that in a person.

      Delete
  7. I have a kayak, you sit down and paddle them. Weight 40 lbs so easily moved or stored. Have seen lots of wild life and birds, it is a lovely way to spend quiet time. Big clams, great blue herons turtles beaver. Only disadvantage is that while easy to paddle it can be hard work if it is very windy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kayak here too. So quiet and peaceful, and i love being right on the water.

    ReplyDelete