Wednesday, April 04, 2018

Today is a Special Day - use the good stuff


A couple of years before I took the job in DC, I went to an estate sale in Kentucky one Saturday morning.  It was a fun diversion, we had a large house to accommodate the treasures I bought.  That morning the sale was the estate of a teacher.  Her car was in the driveway, meticulously taken care of, 10 years old, with only about 10,000 miles on it.  Her nephew was describing how she carefully planned trips so she wouldn't wear it out.  She lived her life like that.  In the dinning room was a set of  Noritake china, the top couple of plates unwrapped, the rest of the set still in the sealed wrappers from new.  I like pretty china, and I had the space, so I bid on the set, I bought the complete service for 8 for less than $30, about what each dinner plate cost new - and it was new - most of it had never been unwrapped.  When I moved to DC I brought it with me and made it my everyday china.  I have used it hard, everything in my kitchen runs in the dishwasher, the pattern is fading and washing away, a few pieces have broken.  I have enjoyed it.  What did she save it for? What was I going to save it for? The estate auction?                                                                                            
Everyday is a special day, unwrap and use the good stuff, you can't take it with you, enjoy it while you can.     

9 comments:

  1. interesting pix there...what is it, where did you find it, how do you use it?

    and how was your visit with fearsome beard?

    ReplyDelete
  2. AM- Fearsome was Fantastic fun, the picture is a caviar bowl and spoon, a gift from a special bear, and I do like fish eggs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I told you you would love the fearsome one! and thanks for the explanation re: the pix!

      Delete
    2. BIG FAT SMOOCHES, DARLING!

      Delete
  3. Hear, hear! Anything that I don't use anymore gets tossed or given away.
    Caviar gets its own bowl and spoon? Well la-de-da! I won't eat a full grown fish, let alone its slimy offspring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Break bread and deepen friendships. Use the good stuff. Thanks for coming by to share with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reminds me of when my mum was in hospital, well, hospice really, dying of cancer. She wasn't so far gone that she knew what kind of vessel she was drinking from. I brought her in a selection of her best pretty glasses, which she much preferred to the yucky hospital plastic mugs!

    ReplyDelete