Friday, April 13, 2018

Oh My That Was Good

No big secret, I will eat just about anything.  There are a few things I really only enjoy if they are the best of the best, steaks are one of those things.  I don't like tough chewy steaks.  Most restaurants fail to deliver a steak the way I like it.  In the last few years, I have finally learned how to cook a great steak - usually a filet, searing it in a very hot cast-iron grill pan and finishing it to a nice medium - medium - rare in a very hot oven.  I don't mind if it bleeds a little. Add a nice loaded-baked potato and I am in heaven.  Add a Hendrix Dry Martini and I even happier.  

While I was in San Francisco I met up with Kent, Jay's dissertation advisor from Duke. Kent is always a pleasure.  I first met him in North Carolina before he retired, then at academic conferences, then in Chicago were he moved after he retired.  He and his wife were our tour guides in Greece for an amazing tour of the back roads and hard to get to sights.  His wife died a couple of years ago, and his daughter and her family moved to Oakland, and he moved along to be full time grandpa to his three grandchildren.  

I was thinking of something nice, and traditional and I saw this steak place.  In the same location for 110 years, they must do something right.  And they do, I couldn't have done better myself.  They even go the martini right. 

If you were taking someone special out to dinner, where would you go tonight? 

13 comments:

  1. I don't know right now......you have me distract with your meat and talk of Hendricks...........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mistress, you're always being distracted by meat and gin! Not that there's anything wrong with it.

      Delete
  2. for italian, I would do capone's.
    for thai/vietnamese, I would do pho thai nam.
    for american, I would do the whitpain tavern.
    for barbecue, I would do zachary's.
    for chinese, I would do lai lai garden.

    all these places are close to my suburban location. notice there is not a chain name in that list.

    now, if I lived in the city, endless options. maddie knows the best philly restaurants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS - I just googled john's grill; the lunch menu alone had me drooling!

      Delete
    2. PPS - for japanese, I would do kabuto.

      Delete
    3. PPPS - for indian, I would do aman's.

      Delete
    4. PPPPS - for mexican, I would do el serape.

      for truly elegant dining, I would do the william penn inn. check this out: http://www.williampenninn.com

      Delete
  3. Too many choices in my head right now. I love that old neon signage! Do you suppose they still have [only] 63 cocktails?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4/13/2018

    Clos Maggiore in Covent Garden. The dining room is beautifully romantic.
    JP

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wife: "Don't forget the Black Flag for the roaches!"
    Husband: "Screw 'em. If they can't eat what we eat, let 'em starve to death!"

    I don't know why this old joke came to my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I could drink 63 cocktails.

    Maybe just tee martoonies.

    :-)

    -Andy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too enjoy eating out for then I can eat (hopefully) marvelous food.

    ReplyDelete