Thursday, April 04, 2024

Thursday Ramble: Growing up on a Farm


 Neil over at Yorkshire Pudding recently posted wondering about growing up on a farm, in a rural area.  Today, few people do grow up this way, less than 15% of the United States population lives on an active farm today.  It was 80% when my grandparents were growing up.  

My paternal grandfather bought an 80 acre farm during World War II, about 60 miles north of Detroit, in the middle of nowhere.  In the mid 1950's, my parents moved out to the farm, built a small house, and a couple of years later my grandparents moved out to the farm.  The farm is 1 1/2 miles from the nearest paved road.  There were three neighbors within 1/2 a mile, all were older adults, one house changed ownership when I was about 10 with a family with kids moving in.  We were about 5 miles outside the nearest Village, where the local shops and schools are.  

By the time I was a child, my family had stopped "farming" the farm. A few fields would be rented to neighboring farmers. The primary purpose for us was to host the honey-farm, there were about 60 colonies of bees along the side of one of the back fields.  The honey processing plant was next to my grandfather's garage.  I spent my teen years working in the honey plant in the summer and weekends into the fall each. 

As the youngest for 4 kids, I grew up without children around. Children and babies still mystify me. Social contact was limited.  In many ways I am still a soloist, very comfortable being alone, taking long walks, being fiercely independent. 

What do a retain from that experience? A simple joy in being alone. In quiet. In long walks without seeing another person.  An ability to entertain myself. The ability to recognize pretty much everything there is to grow or raise on a farm. An understanding of what goes into feeding the world's population, the work, the challenges, crop failures, and bumper harvests.  It shaped how I view money and finance, farmers never know what the next harvest will be like and avoid debt if at all possible. The value of good neighbors, you have to be a good neighbor to have good neighbors. To live for days without visiting a store or shop.  I could cook for a couple of weeks with what is in the pantry and refrigerator, living on the farm, you lived that way.  

17 comments:

  1. When I was very little our ancestral home was surrounded by nothing but farmland. Almost all the town especially in the rural area was just farm after after. Today...three left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were so far out, civilization has not spread there yet.

      Delete
  2. I guess you watch the Foxes' bee keeping with great interest.
    I grew up on a farm from the age of 4 to about 16. It was an ok upbringing but I was aware there was a bigger world not so far away and from my pre teen years, I already knew I wanted to be a little fish in a big pond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was about 14 we started spending winters in Florida, in town,

      Delete
  3. Incredible that 80% of the US population lived on farms during your grandparents’ childhoods. What a change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 3/4 of my grandparents started out on farms.

      Delete
  4. How we live as children moulds us. I can easily imagine how such a remote home life must have forged your character and how glimmers of it must still emerge now that you are - how shall I say this - mature! Yes, that is the word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mature, cheddar matures, I am old.

      Delete
  5. It's a fast-disappearing lifestyle, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fewer people are needed to farm much larger farms.

      Delete
  6. My father's grandfather owns a small farm in Colorado, but he was the last; his son, my father's father, left the farm and moved to Southern California. I never got to see the farm but wonder what it must have been like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There a thousands of miles of nothing between here and there.

      Delete
  7. I still see lots of farms in parts of Illinois but I believe they have gotten quite high-tech with the machinery that works in the fields. Wind farms have taken over some acreage also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot fewer farmers, much larger farms for the most part.

      Delete
  8. I was lucky to have the best of both worlds growing up - grandparents who lived on a farm outside of Bloomington, IL, and grandparents who lived an hour outside of NYC and also very close to the Jersey shore. As a young child, I loved the farm life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow the Green Acres theme song just started playing in the background.

      Delete
  9. I always wondered what it would be like to grow up in the country instead of the city.

    ReplyDelete