Friday, April 26, 2024

100 Ways to Slightly Improve Your Travel Experience: #3 Speeding Through Check in and Security


Recently three of us were dropped off at the Cincinnati airport at the same time.  We agreed that we would meet up just after the security checkpoint, and go to lunch together, we had a couple of hours before flight time. In other words we were on time for our flights.  

K. had checked in online and was carrying baggage on board only, B had not checked in needed to check a bag, and I had checked in online and was checking a bag.  I was the only one of the three with TSA Pre-Check. I was the first one through security.  K was about 15 minutes behind me, and was pulled for secondary inspection because of a bottle of water in her bag.  It took B about 20 minutes to check in, check a bag, and wait in the security line.  None of us are inexperienced travelers, K has flown around the world. 

So what are the tips?

1: Check in online, if you can PRINT your boarding pass before you get to the airport. 

2: If you are checking bags, use the automated machines to print the bag tag (and boarding pass if needed.) 

3: Enroll in TSA Pre-check or what ever express lane option is available in your country.  I pay for Global Entry, (in other countries this system goes by other names) giving me the express lane at customs and immigration and the express lane for airport security. Yes I pay for that, about $20 a year, but the screening is easier and the wait much shorter.  

4: Be prepared for security screening.  Before I enter security I empty my pockets into my messenger bag, keys, wallets, phone.  If I am wearing a belt that will set off security it goes in.  With Pre-Check I can keep my shoes on unless the shoes have a lot of metal in them (and I won't wear something like a heavy pair of boots to travel in for that reason, the hiking boots or waterproof shoes go into the checked bag.) Toss the oversized liquids before you get there.  If I am wearing the larger mechanical watch it has to go in the bag (it will set off the metal detector.)  


  

13 comments:

  1. I like the top picture. Quite surreal and so many little bulbs. How interesting that though the three of you arrived at the airport together, you made it to "airside" at such different times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The photo is the tunnel between the east and west buildings of the National Gallery of Art in Washington DC.

      Delete
  2. We have the security queue preparation down to a fine art these days. Belts and watches off and packed in our bags; liquids in the correct size and in the plastic bag, already out of the carry-on; coats off; passport and boarding pass, handkerchief and anything else removed from pockets and stowed in our bags. I even undo my shoe laces ready to whip them off quickly. However, I always seem to get stuck behind the person who takes about 10 minutes to very slowly go through all the preparation once at the belt and then start rearranging and repacking their bags!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been behind that same person a few times.

      Delete
  3. as I said in an earlier post, I almost always carry on a bag, but take off watches and rings and money and belts long before screening so I can just sail through. I've rarely been stopped for a second screening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a smooth process if you are prepared for it.

      Delete
  4. Hell Im still waiting for a good strip search.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are ways that could be arranged

      Delete
  5. Great advice. I've had TSA Precheck for years now and it really does save a lot of time. My friends who travel internationally around 2 times a month have Global Entry. The last time I traveled with them, they got through screening even faster than the precheck line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The big benefit of global entry is a self serve express lane when coming back into the country. The line off to the side for crew is global entry.

      Delete
  6. Or you could just stay home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some day that will be the best option

    ReplyDelete