Saturday, April 13, 2024

The Saturday Morning Post: Touching the Third Rail


Oh I know I am going to frighten and piss off some people with this post.  I generally stay away from politics, religion, and guns.  People are frightened and angered by all three (pissed off = angered in American English.) 

Bob posted about a politician who keeps lying about how he was shot.  Was it in a war zone, or the tale he told to the police when he was being investigated for discharging a firearm in a national park.  He told the police that the handgun discharged when he dropped it while loading it. That is possible, though unlikely. A single action revolver would be most likely to have that happen if he was being careless in handling it while loading or unloading it.  Pistols are much safer, and it is nearly impossible for them to accidentally fire, throw them around all you want, drive over them with a car, and they are unlikely to fire.  

I seldom talk about this, I am a gun owner.  My grandparents gave me a semi-automatic rifle when I was a teenager, I still have it.  I spent many hours as a teenager shooting target practice.  

When I was in my 40's my father gave me his colt-revolver.  I had grown up with it in a locked box in the hall closet. A few times a year it would come out for target practice, a cleaning, then be locked away again.  I think I fired it once, before he gave it to me.  

When he gave it to me, I went to a professional indoor range owned and operated by a couple of retired police officers, and hired a professional instructor to show me how to handle it safely.  The Colt was an old design, single action revolver, a design that has been around since the 1850's.  You have to be very-very careful if it is loaded and "half cocked" and you wish to not have it fire, if you carelessly drop it at that point, it could fire accidently if it landed just the wrong way.  The instructor meticulously showed me, and had me practice how to safely do that with the gun unloaded, and was explicit in how to only do that under controlled circumstances so that if an accident happened no one and nothing would be hurt. Then we spent a couple hours on the range firing line practicing what I had learned.  

I went back to that instructor when I bought my first pistol.  He was pleased that I was moving to something modern, and spent time showing me how to handle it safely, and how to safely unload and clear the chamber.  You never pick up a firearm without verifying that the chamber is clear - NEVER. You NEVER point a gun at anything you are not prepared to make a big hole in.    

No one should handle firearms without that kind of training, and without the instructor signing off that the person has the skills and judgement to safely handle the firearm.  It was not required, I did it because I knew I didn't know what I was doing and wanted to do it safely. I live in a state that does not license or register guns.  I never have lived in a state that does.  

I enjoy target shooting, though it has been several years since I last went to a range.  Why do I own them? Because I do.  I have enjoyed them over the years. There is no real need or justification other than I do because I can.  Kind of like why do I own cameras. 

The Colt is a family heirloom, it has been passed onto a family member, with the instruction to go hire an instructor before putting ammunition into it for the first time. 

A friend of mine lives alone in a rural part of appalachia.  His father gave him a loaded revolver to keep next to his bed.  He has no idea how it works, he has never fired one, never loaded or unloaded one, that is how people die. I have urged him to hire an instructor, or contact the local police and say, "would you please come take this thing away."  

No one should handle guns, without careful instruction and good judgement.  People who lack good judgement, should never be allowed near guns.  

The idiot politician is either a liar, or careless, or more likely both. His actions and words show that he lacks the character needed to handle firearms and shouldn't be allowed near them. 

22 comments:

  1. I do not get the whole gun thing on any level, but I know pistols and shotguns were common in the Great Plains in previous generations in SG’s family. Why did your grandparents give you a semi-automatic rifle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a responsible male, and the closet was overflowing at their house.

      Delete
  2. I did take note of the tosser Bob wrote about. My father was a farmer who did have a need for guns, to put down animals and he trained us in gun safety. He bought us an air gun, that we used to shoot frogs in a dam. The shame I now feel. Since then none of his children has been interested in guns and I don't what happened to the air rifle. My step mother called me a few years ago to ask if any of us wanted his guns that she had stored in the ceiling, a .303, .22 and an old Enfield. None of us did and she took them to the local police station to be destroyed. Farmers may need guns. Average citizens don't. No gun, no training needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Often guns surrendered or confiscated by the police here, end up at auction and back on the streets. Some states have laws requiring police to auction anything that is legal and of value.

      Delete
  3. I am not a gun owner but I have no problem with thoughtful, careful, trained and responsible gun owners.
    My issue is with those who stockpile assault-style weapons and those who leave guns lying around for their children to take to schools and murder their friends. My issue is with access to guns, the ease in which you can buy guns. Like a car, register your guns, have a license to own a gun, train yourself to use a gun, insure your guns, and keep them out of reach of anyone who really has no need to hold a gun.
    That's all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a big gun show here in the area a few years ago, there were detailed instructions for purchasing a gun if you live in the District of Columbia, purchase limits if you live in Maryland, and for Virginia simply - "bring a shopping cart."

      Delete
  4. Every gun owner should be as careful and responsible as you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I grew up with guns in the house but they were locked up and when they were out they were handled with care. My dad taught me to handle a gun when I was a teenager but it was always locked up after that. I do have to say, that these days, I wouldn't know where to begin. It's been too long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are careful and responsible and that's what is needed when it comes to guns (and most everything really). Some guns should NOT be available to the public at all...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, we regulate machine guns, why not assault rifles? It is about public safety.

      Delete
  7. Never owned a gun, never will. I did get a kick out of watching Jim Jeffries on YouTube talking about gun control. He's hilarious and parts one and two should be watched together. If there had been guns in our home growing up several people probably would've wound up dead during a drunken party or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly a lot of young people lose their lives, guns and parties don't mix.

      Delete
  8. I'm not angered about you owning a gun or anyone that has one. I think that is where some of these gun owners get worked up. I don't have a problem with anyone owning a gun...it's the crazies that get them and don't know how to use them, or get them illegally, or get them for sinister use that irk me. All republicans need to do is support and pass bills and laws to get stronger background checks and training in place, and yet, they won't even do that? What exactly is the issue with that? After all, there are many areas of life where we need to renew or get license for certain things, certain jobs or like driving. No one blinks an eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may also add if you wouldn't mind, to be a commendable gun owner. You are smart, and educated about it and took the time to get to know it and got proper training.

      Delete
    2. As long as the NR@ owns Congress, progress is hard to make.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thank you, at times what I write means what I had hoped it would say.

      Delete
  10. Gun ownership is a volatile topic but you brought sensibility to a touchy subject. This is a good post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree. I remember at one point the NRA had ads lauding proper ownership and use etc. to promote guns in the right hand and used right were 'not a threat'

    ReplyDelete