Friday, April 05, 2024

Foodie Friday: Bourbon


 The Bourbon I reviewed a couple of weeks ago, was too special to drink steadily, that bottle will last a few months.  

I picked this one up at my local, Rebel, Distiller's Collection wheated. It is good.  Not a lot of nose for me, oak. The taste is surprisingly spicey, with a notable oak. On my scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being Jim Beam, I wouldn't give that swill to my ex, and 10 being impossibly perfect, I give this a 7.  A good solid, everyday sipper, and just under $50. 

How did I pick this one? 

It is a distiller's select, hopefully meaning that the master distiller sample the barrel and deemed it worthy of a stand alone bottling.  It is wheated, meaning that there is more wheat than rye in the mash bill as a secondary grain (it has to be 51% corn.) Wheat generally results in a sweeter bourbon - my taste.  And it is a single barrel.  Interesting it does not say Single Barrel on the label, but at the bottom it shows the batch, barrel number and date making it clear that it is a single barrel and not a blend.  I generally find single barrel bourbons to be the best that the master distiller had available that day.    

8 comments:

  1. I do at least love the color of bourbon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bourbons have becomes the rage down here in South Carolina; every bar and restaurant it seems has new Bourbon menus with all kinds of choices.
    Perhaps I need to move closer to the Southern Border if i desire a tequila Menu?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. More than anyone needs to know

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Not an expression of happiness

      Delete