Thursday, April 11, 2024

The Thursday Ramble: Why Do People Follow "he who shall not be named?"


I was having a late lunch, and a glass of wine with an old friend late last week, and she said "I just don't understand how anyone can follow #rump (he who shall not be named - HWSNBN.)  We agreed that we find him vile, evil, sexist, racist, a braggart who at the heart of it is a failure (he claims to be a billionaire but couldn't raise $175,000,000.) 

I kind of understand why people follow him, support him.  Some are family members, some are people I knew growing up in middle America.  

He says things that make them feel better, or powerful, or even good about themselves. And many of them have a had a difficult life. 

When I was a teenager the dream of my high school classmates was to graduate, get a job in one of the automobile plants before you turned 25, and retire at 55 (55 and 30 or more years of service) with a comfortable pension and guaranteed health insurance coverage for life.  Older brothers and sisters of my classmates who had graduated a decade earlier were already on that path, they were earning a good living, buying homes, new cars, and starting families.  Then came the Arab Oil Embargo of the middle 1970's, the price of gasoline quadrupled,  energy efficient cars entered the market from Japan and Germany, and the bottom dropped out of the auto industry.  Over the next 30 years those jobs never really came back.  Old inefficient plants were closed, new one's built that require many fewer man hours to build each car. Many of the high paying jobs like the paint room, are now entirely automated.  We build as many cars as we ever did, but with many fewer well paid workers. 

Other industry never filled the void in employment and opportunities in those areas.  Often the best job in town, maybe the only job in town was McDonalds at minimum wage.  I went to my 25th High School reunion, I had classmates who were still living in their mother's basement eeking out a living at less than $10 an hour.  

That generation is angry, they feel left behind, overlooked.  They are looking for something, anything to blame their misery on.  Women, immigrants, or persons of color are easy targets and HWSNBN pushes that button for them.  Makes them feel okay about blaming others for their lot in life.  

And to a great extent the government's efforts to address poverty failed this generation in rural America.  The efforts to eliminate poverty focused on inner city and urban poverty. Many people never understood poverty in rural America.  The population in rural areas is much less dense, it is easier to address jobs and poverty in an urban area, than in farm country, but the suffering of poverty is just the same in a rural area.  We put transit funding in cities, but if you are poor and live 5 miles from the nearest grocery store a junker car may be your lifeline. They watched others prosper, while they were left behind. 

Many urban areas, especially where manufacturing was the primary employer also imploded, and never recovered. As long as it is cheaper to manufacture halfway around the globe and ship the item to market, that is how it will be done.  People want cheap manufactured goods, companies make bigger profits on them, and the "rust belt" and "cotton belt" factories closed and the jobs were not replaced. In places like Louisville, large appliance manufacturing was all sent out of the country, and as it has slowly returned, it has been automated, with 1/3 of the workforce employed 40 years ago.  (My new top GE Profile appliances were made in Louisville.)    

This same message of blaming the other was perpetuated in some faith and community based organizations.  People showed up, if what was said made them feel better about their life, and blaming the challenges on the success or sins of others made people feel better.  I know that is not what religion should be about, but the gospel of prosperity flourishes in the this country.  

I was fortunate, in that I had seen some of the country outside of the where I grew up, and had an opportunity to move and start life where there were more opportunities.  I realized that education would bring more opportunities and worked my way through it.  When the two greatest opportunities opened up for me, I was not afraid to leave home and chase them.  If I had stayed behind in my home town, I would be likely be as battered as what is left of mainstreet.  
 

20 comments:

  1. And let’s not forget the wealthy, well-educated supporters who don’t care about anyone but themselves and holding onto every dollar. There are those who believe every lie he tells and those who know everything he says is a lie and just don’t care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make it even easier to profit on the backs of the other people who vote for him.

      Delete
  2. "He says things that make them feel better, or powerful, or even good about themselves." I can understand that before #45 was elected, but subsequently after his terrible performance as President, whereby he became a world joke and brought great discredit to the country. The non acceptance of the election result, the riots and all the criminal and civil charges he is facing, in my opinion should make him completely unelectable. He is simply a bad person and an incompetent politician and I couldn't have any truck with someone who voted for him now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bit of bad grammar. Sorry.

      Delete
    2. Oh I agree, he has them convinced that their vote was stolen. Despite all of the proof, he repeats those lies.

      Delete
  3. "I kind of understand why people follow him, support him. " I can only surmise they aren't bright, don't wash the fruit off before eating it, or were dropped on their head , many times as a baby.

    And don't get me started on the sending jobs and manufacturing overseas and buying cheaply made crap that don't last. I'd rather pay for good quality and have it last.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quality pays in the long term.

      Delete
  4. Thoughtfully written David. In essence, it reminds me very much of "Hillbilly Elegy" by J.D.Vance. It's good to try to grips with the Orange Monster phenomenon - to understand how it happened in the first place and how the prospect of a second coming should not be quickly dismissed - in spite of his obvious fallibilities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vance's politics aside, the book was very informative.

      Delete
  5. Perfection. Sadly, so, realizing that people who are struggling are putting their faith in a man who has never lifted a finger to help anyone but himself; a man who gave billionaires a lifelong tax break in his last term and has offered to do the same again while ignoring the middle and lower classes who pay his bills.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think there are a variety of reasons why people are blind followers of Trump. For the poor and resentful, the factors are as you've stated them. For the rich, it's pure greed and the promise of no restrictions. For some, it's the prospect of power to enrich themselves and punish their perceived enemies. For the most deluded, it's the emotional stranglehold of falling into a cult. Whatever the reason, they're all dangerous to democracy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All reasonable people need to show up an VOTE this year.

      Delete
  7. An excellent summary. I've been reading several things lately about why people follow such an obviously flawed character. I understand it on an intellectual level but on an emotional level, it's mind boggling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Often people are voting against their own interest, and yet they do

      Delete
  8. Your post reminded me of my childhood in very rural northern New York state. I was the only male to go to college. People simply graduated high school and then got jobs. Higher education was never a thing. But I knew that I just had to get out of there. I felt different. When I go home, I see Trump signs all over the place, even Confederate flags (in upstate NY!) I am glad I moved away as I think if I had stayed I would have been very unhappy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine having stayed there.

      Delete
  9. I think you nailed it. Especially the part about growing up working in the local plant, put in your 30, retire with a guaranteed pension and health benefits. Life was good, but sadly that has pretty much disappeared. People are hurting and desperate.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I won't mention that name. But I'm worried.

    ReplyDelete