Thursday, March 16, 2023

Well that sets things in motion.


It is budget season at the office, for the fiscal year starting in September.  In my first information upload to my boss I mentioned my hope of retiring.  I have never really made a secret of my plan or intention.  

Two long video calls today. With plans, A, B, C and D (for disaster.) A wonderful heart-to-heart with my sweet bear. And I emailed my boss with a firm date for my intended retirement.  She will get the ball rolling.  (I will reveal the date soon, it is a fair number of months down the road.) 

The plan allows plenty of time for planning, and putting change in place.  As I said in the email, change is never easy, but planned change is easier than sudden change.  

There are days when this job is killing me.  

Scary, to have made the commitment, but it also feels kind of good. 

I am not worried about second thoughts, I have spent months dealing with those.      

5 comments:

  1. Good for you for setting and communicating "the date." I gave my employer almost a full year of notice. Not that they needed that much, but it does help to plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We debated notice between 5 and 18 months, on various options. Settled someplace in between.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations. I often prefer sudden change... or a plan with a very short lead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We talked about dragging this out for a couple of years,

      Delete