Saturday, March 18, 2023

The Saturday Morning Post: Happy Birthday to my Sister



There a few milestones that lead to me remembering my sister's birthday.  The two times my family visited the Grand Canyon when I was a child, were on her birthday.  She is a little older than I am, we have disagreed over it being one year or two years. She is two years older than I am in the few months between her birthday and mine.

Being a few months apart in age, our lives are intertwined.  She was a couple of years ahead of me in school.  She got married the same spring I finished high school.  Then we went a couple of different ways, she stayed in Michigan, and I moved to Florida.  I didn't see much of her for 30 years, then she moved to Florida to care for our parents in the last few years of their lives.  I will be forever grateful for everything she did to empower our parents to live and die in their home, as they wished.   

The last year has been a challenging one for her.  Her husband died from cancer last fall, her beloved wonder dog died a few weeks later, she has moved to be nearer to her kids.  She has settled in, is doing work she enjoys, and is close enough to see her two sons often.  

I wish her a very Happy Birthday, and a peaceful and happy year to come.      

12 comments:

  1. Wishing your sister a very happy birthday and a year of good news.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, she deserves a wonderful birthday and more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She played the Bassoon in high school

      Delete
  3. Let this year bring her all sorts of happiness and good things.
    Happy Happy Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope that this year brings her much happiness and maybe even a few adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great adventures, there are few places she should see

      Delete
  5. Happy birthday and blessings to your sister. Wow...three big life events in the past year. May this year bring her peace, comfort, feeling settled in her new home, and perhaps a visit with her brother!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I called her today. I plan to visit sometime this summer.

      Delete
  6. That was splendid.
    My first reaction to the photo was it was you!

    ReplyDelete