Thursday, March 02, 2023

The Thursday Ramble: Spontaneous Outburst


I have been rather busy, and just a little stressed.  At times I work too much, and worry that I am doing to little.  A colleague was asking recently about a project, that I probably should have done, but I had someone else doing.  One too many questions were asked, I felt stressed and out tumbled the words, "at times I am overwhelmed and burned out and I asked someone to work on the project and I don't care who gets credit for it being done, as long as it gets done." 

There are two essential truths in this spontaneous outburst.  

First, I care more than things get done that need to be done, than I care who gets credit for them.  We spend far too much energy protecting turf, and building walls, energy that could better be devoted to making things happen. The bottom line was I asked someone if they would write the first draft on that project, and they did, and they have done a really good job. It needed to be done, and I didn't have the 10-20 hours to do it, and neither did the person(s) who were giving me a hard time about someone else doing it. Oh and in the end, the person has listed my office as having done the project, that really he did. I could have cried when he did that.      

Second, it shocked me to admit, that at times I feel overwhelmed and burned out. This is mostly a work related experience for me.  And it is not new for me.  If you look at my history, I have changed professions and jobs when those feelings reached a breaking point.  I don't think I am at a breaking point, but this also reinforces my thinking that it is time for me to retire.  If I stay retired or not, time will tell.  But I think it is time for me to move forward with an orderly plan to hand off to the next generation.  I have seen too many people carry on beyond the point of caring, because they felt obligated, or were trying to build a legacy.  I will miss the money, but the time for me to move on is getting near.  

So there are probably new adventures, new chapters to come.  This is not a rush, but the transition will be better if we take time and plan for it, rather than me spontaneously - enough of this #hit I am out of here.    

11 comments:

  1. I've never regretted retiring. I could afford to and there was no reason to continue working a job I had come to hate. There were financial reasons for me to stay to the point I did but once I reached that, good bye. I predict you won't work and kind of normal employment again once you retire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear it... not that you're feeling burnt out but that you want to move on before you simply don't care anymore. I've worked with too many people who stayed too long at the fair. Take good care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think one of the hardest things for people to say is "I need help."
    Good on you for seeing it, saying it, and not caring who gets credit.

    Relax and breathe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't one of the perks of being the Big Boss that you get to delegate stuff? Your time is extra valuable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have demanded more money

      Delete
  5. I understand those feelings totally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More time to travel, Italy is calling

      Delete
  6. You KNOW how I feel about retiring. I, too, am very burned out and am working way above my pay grade and title, and beyond my paid work hours, day in and day out - but there's nothing to do about it, aside from quitting, which I can't. The best I can do is push through until vacation, then get away for a spell to recharge so I'm ready to come back...I think of it is a furlough...and keep my eye on that sweet prize just 1172 days away.

    Sassybear
    https://idleeyesandadormy.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went to a going away party for our executive director this afternoon, I was hoping he would out last me

      Delete