Monday, March 13, 2023

Moody Monday: Self Care


 It has been a challenging few months.  People keep dying, I gave up and ordered sympathy cards by the dozen from uncle Jeff.  Friends pets keep dying, beloved dogs and cats - members of the family of people I care about.  Work can always be challenging, there have been a few strange items recently - a document that is three months behind schedule that came in only to need massive editing, and budget season is rapidly approaching. Politics, especially at the state level are simply frightening.  The good news was there is asteroid the size of a house that has about 1 in 500 chance of slamming into the earth sometime in my lifetime.  At times I find myself saying out loud (I talk to myself in the shower) that I just don't want to do this anymore. 

I was scheduled to take part in a virtual meeting all day last Friday and Saturday. I have a seat at the table on a big national project, on an issue I have been passionate about since I was a teenager.  I made it through Friday, though I had little or nothing to add.  I was pleased that others had problems with the same issues I had spent a couple of hours debating by email with the chair of the meeting. No matter what I said, she had three counter arguments why her way was best. I am glad I was not the only one who had problems with her idea, but the fight had gone out of me. I sent an email that I was "feeling off, and wouldn't join in today."  No offense to those with mental illness that need more than a day off to make life tolerable, but I needed to take a mental health day, a day of self care.  

What makes me feel better?  Reading what friends are up to (your blogs.)  Writing.  Watching a little video.  The right music.  Cooking - Saturday I made a white bean soup from scratch (no canned bean shortcuts.) A morning run to the farmers market.  A walk.  A nap.  A long hot shower.  (One advantage of living in a massive high rise, hot water is supplied by the building, meaning we have an endless supply of hot water, I can run the dishwasher, the washing machine, and we can both take a long shower and the hot water just keeps coming.) A day of indulging in me, rest and recharging. 

We all need to know what works for us on self care.  For some it is a spa day, or a day out walking, or hiking.  Whatever it is, know what it is, know when you need to do it, and allow yourself to do so. 



15 comments:

  1. Our hot water comes from a central boiler and we wish it didn't. We have a temperature valve issue at the moment and so for a hot shower, we need to turn a second hot tap on a little. I can't imagine how the system works. However, the bonus is that since this has happened, our hot water charge dropped from about $40 a month to $2(sic) a month. We are not querying this.

    I hope your mental health day did the trick. I needed a few at times before I retired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like the taps need servicing, most of the newer one's have a cartridge that can be changed.

      Delete
  2. Good for you for bowing out of the Day 2 torture with the Chair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It helped. Why they do all day on a Saturday I don't know.

      Delete
  3. Glad you took a self-care day when you needed to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are times when challenges pile up and you have to say STOP in order to take it all in. Sounds like a little cooking therapy (that delicious scratch bean soup) on Saturday helped with getting yourself centered. Leftovers for tonight's dinner?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good weekend, and I walked a little extra this morning on my way to the office.

      Delete
  5. Good advice. Everyone needs a recharge every now and then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to need them more often than usual

      Delete
  6. We were so chilly yesterday that i took a nice long hot shower and it was wonderful and indulgent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Humid and chilly at this time of the year.

      Delete
  7. Good for you to be able to leave the fight to others and put the focus closer to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good weekend, and a couple of nice walks today,

      Delete
  8. yes yes yes to self care! You are quite sensible.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with you, brother. In the middle of an intense work load, I was starting to crack and decided it was take a mental break or die, so I indulged in a two day break from responsibility, and just indulged in relaxing and entertaining myself. IT Was necessary, and I was able to come back and hit the ground running. But even on my best days, I am SO over it.

    Sassybear
    https://idleeyesandadormy.com/

    ReplyDelete