Thursday, February 04, 2021

Be Bold, Say What Needs to Be Said


 I don't talk about my work on my blog, because if I do, it becomes my employers blog, and this is mine.  But what I do 40-50 hours a week influences what I write, and the experiences there often inspire me.  I recently circulated for comments among coworkers a draft article.  I circulated it because it is bold, it says thing that I think need to be said, something many people know happens, but few speak up and call it what it is.  In the opening paragraph I say the first step in change is admitting we have a problem, we have a problem and it is time we become the agents of change. 

I received comments back from a couple of people.  One with a few technical corrections, and the other saying, if you say that people are going to be upset. I will do some edits, and explain why I am being bold, but sometimes we need to say bold things that some people will be upset by.  The people that will be upset are so invested in the problem, that they don't see the problem. I will make it clear that the system I am writing about works most of the time, but when it fails, it hurts people and that needs to be changed, and the changes may require changes in the system that works well for most, but destroys the lives of others.  Like the sheet of ice above, perfectly smooth, except for the rocks sticking out.  We need to address the rocks that break the perfect surface.     

Some times, we need to be bold, and say what needs to be said. One of the joys of getting closer to retirement, is feeling less constrained about saying what needs to be said, for fear of hurting someone's feelings.   

15 comments:

  1. "go big or go home" as maddie always says.
    these days, "fuck their fee-fees" works also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 29 months, and I can say what I really think, and stay home.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous2/04/2021

    A little mysterious but yes, sometimes things have to be put out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stay far enough from the line on here, that this blog remains mine, even if my employer's adds do show up here from time to time, seriously an advertisement for your publishing division showed up in the middle of my rant.

      Delete
  3. I'm sure you'll say it with grace and tact.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am probably being too kind.

      Delete
  4. Give them the benefit of your experience and wisdom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wisdom, I thought it was just cranky old age

      Delete
  5. No problem was ever solved by ignoring it. Go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If people are complaining about what you wrote, or commenting on it, it proves their listening and you've made your point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes we need to make waves

      Delete
  7. At this point in my life, I regret what I didn't say much more than what I did say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were seldom thought of as a shrinking violet.

      Delete
  8. I think a lot of bad things are happening simply because people are afraid to speak up and say that is not good. If we did more perhaps more would mind their manners.

    ReplyDelete