Friday, May 29, 2020

Rocks

I lived in Florida, in the semi-tropics, semi-paradise, semi-swamp for the better part of 20 years.  The longer I was there, the more I missed something, not snow, not being dry, not sanity, I missed rocks.  The simple truth is most of Florida is either a swamp or a sandbar.  There are a handful of limestone formations, but most of those are well below the surface.  There are a few cocina shell formations on the beaches of the east coast, but those really just sea shells stuck together by limestone, give them another million years and they will be real rocks.  

The picture above is what a real rocky beach looks like, the stones are smoothed and polished by being tossed in the surf.  

Have you been to wonderful rocky beach? 

19 comments:

  1. Nope just all sandy beaches. Can you imagine shaking rocks out of your underalls?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, my mind goes to strange places when I think about getting the rocks out of my undies.

      Delete
  2. p-town and oregon. I understand maine has rocky beaches also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep. But I prefer mine sandy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yours is so nice

      Delete
    2. Why, thank you. Yours is nice, too... Oh, wait, you meant my sandy beach. Never mind.

      Delete
  4. Yes, agate beach in N. California! Not totally covered by rocks, but enough to where you could find agates!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to go there. I drove from San Francisco to Pebble Beach a couple of years ago, taking my time and stopping whenever I saw something. It was heavenly.

      Delete
    2. Hopefully, this will open up for you.

      https://www.visitredwoods.com/listing/agate-beach/530/

      Delete
  5. I much prefer sand. I go to the beach to play in the water. Rocks would kill me when I fall! I did enjoy them in my yard though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rocky places on Maine coast and in Glacier National Park, at a hotel's beach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to go back to Glacier again.

      Delete
  7. I have! When I was little I lived in city on the Mississippi River and all the beaches looked like this. I used to love to search for interesting rocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have one on my desk I picked up on the Washington coast last summer. My grandfather was from north of St Louis, along the Mississippi.

      Delete
  8. Anonymous5/29/2020

    England, and I did not like pebble beaches.

    ReplyDelete