Monday, May 18, 2020

My Music Monday - Glen Campbell



Sometime in the early 1970's, I heard Glen Campbell perform live at the Michigan State Fair, in a massive thunderstorm.  Years later I heard an interview with him, he was talking frankly about his struggle with alcohol, and he talked about the time he was drunk off his ass, and insisted on going on stage in a massive thunderstorm at a state fair.  Most of his band refused to go onstage, but he did.  As I recall he only did a couple of songs before lightning knocked out the sound system.  He developed dementia later in life, was very public about his journey through that illness, and died a few years ago.  



10 comments:

  1. When I saw his name, I immediately started singing Rhinestone Cowboy. It will probably be with me for the rest of the day... unless it's replaced with Wichita Lineman... I hear he's still on the liiiiiiiiiiiiine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can hear and repeat every word,

      Delete
  2. For a hardcore addict, he sure always had such a baby face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And lots of retouching on the photos I suspect.

      Delete
  3. he and tanya tucker were a couple at that time; they also snorted cocaine. was never a big fan of his.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5/18/2020

    It is an awful song, but I just love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glen Campbell and Jimmy Webb, the perfect pairing of singer and songwriter. We used to watch his show when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete