Wednesday, July 31, 2019

The Way We Were Wednesday - Same place 60 years apart

My mother took the slide at the top, in the 1950s, undoubtedly with my father giving directions and grimacing that she wasn't doing it right (sorry the scan is reversed.) The bottom image I took at the same place in early June of this year - some 60 years later.  The original tunnel is now the maintenance tunnel between the two new tunnels on the Pennsylvania Turnpike.  As we were approaching the tunnel, I remembered scanning Dad's slide and thought I should take an updated picture. 

Do you ever let an old photo, inspire you take a new photo. 

4 comments:

  1. I love those tunnels. I always enjoy going through the Lehigh Tunnel when I go to the Woods Campground before getting off at Leighton.

    Yes, I once took a picture of a certain angle at a park near me, the same angle, but at each season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHA! I KNEW that tunnel pix you posted a few weeks back was the PA turnpike; I just got the location wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sort of did once. Not of a place though. Our parents had one studio picture made of my sisters and me when I was eight and the baby was six months. All six of us had a copy after we were grown. Six cute little girls in black and white. I moved from San Diego in 1993, when I was 37. We all got together a month or so before BH and I moved, and had another professional picture taken. We are approximately in the same positions as the original, except the baby at 27 refused to sit in my lap! That was the last time we were all together like that. Both pictures are now hanging together in the entryway to our home. Foyer is too fancy a word for that tiny space. I'm so glad we did that!
    I probably should've just said yes, huh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also can't count. The "baby" was 29. These are important facts you know :)

      Delete