Wednesday, July 10, 2019

The Way We Were Wednesday - Great Aunt Edith


My paternal grandmothers, aunt on her father's side, my great aunt Edith. She had come to the USA from England sometime before World War II.  At first she lived with my grandparents in the Detroit area.  She landed a job as a housekeeper for the Firestone family.  She was live in staff, and traveled with them from home to home as part of their personal staff.  The summer my aunt Edith was born she was at a lake house near Chicago, my father was sent to spend a month with her, playing with the children and grandchildren in the Firestone family.  During World War II, cousin Sally was sent from London to the states for safety, Sally lived with my grandparents, she was sort of my father second sister.  

Sometime after the war, Edith and Sally moved to Miami with Uncle Bob, whom I never met.  Bob died of alcoholism after a few short years, but Edith and Sally stayed in Miami.  They were big characters, neither ever married. They were big hearted and kind.  Edith told me in England she worked in a woolen mill and she was always the last one in the door as the bell rang at the start of the work day, and the first one out the door at the end of the day, her philosophy was walk to work, and run away from it.  

In later life, in ill health the two of them moved to Michigan City, Indiana to live with another cousin.  We kind of lost track, I know they both died there. I understand Edith was cremated and her ashes scattered on the Atlantic, she said that way in time, parts of her would drift home to England on the tides, slowly, very slowly. 

Neat car, an early 60's Mercury, with the "Breezeway" window in the back, it rolled down into the trunk. 

2 comments:

  1. Your old snapshots are such wonderful slices of life at different times and places. I like great aunt Edith’s philosophy on work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the car details; I was staring at that back window!

    ReplyDelete