Sunday, July 07, 2019

Sunday Five - In a Pickle


My grandmother stopped making dill pickles before I was around, my mother never did.  My mother was afraid of anything fermented, or yeasted.  The bubbles and changing smells made her afraid that something was wrong and she was going to make someone sick. Last summer I read a book on fermented foods, pickling and such, and decided to try my hand at it.  Hence this weeks Sunday five - In a Pickle.

1: Have you ever made a simple dill pickle? 
2: Do you like sauerkraut? 
3: Did you grow up around people who canned food? 
4: What is your favorite pickle? 
5: What is your favorite fruit jelly or jam? 

My answers: 
1: Have you ever made a simple dill pickle? See above- it is surprisingly simple and they are so good. 
2: Do you like sauerkraut? I like it cold, made a batch last fall. 
3: Did you grow up around people who canned food? One of my grandmother's did, I helped her a lot. 
4: What is your favorite pickle? All of them, sour dills, bread-and-butter, sweet jerkins. 
5: What is your favorite fruit jelly or jam? Red Raspberry. 

Your answers in the comments, please. 

5 comments:

  1. 1: no
    2: no
    3: no
    4: none
    5: strawberry, raspberry, blackberry

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Nope.

    2. Nope. My father used to cook it with neck bones. It was okay, not as sour. I refuse to eat it as an adult.

    3. Nope.

    4. I plead the fifth! I used to love pickles but they all taste metallic to me now. Mrs. Fannings was the best for tuna sammiches.

    5. Strawberry preserves. Balder Half prefers grape jelly (blah). We are in a divided household condimentwise. I'm mayo, he's mustard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, made dill and really good bread and butter pickles!
    Love sauerkraut
    Mother and grandmother canned....I never learned to do this. Wish I did
    Bread and butter
    Strawberry and orange marmalade

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1: Have you ever made a simple dill pickle? Jerry and I used to can Kosher dills. We got blue ribbons and even purple rosettes for best in show at the agricultural fair every year!
    2: Do you like sauerkraut? I can take it or leave it. I liked it on hot dogs when I was a kid.
    3: Did you grow up around people who canned food? No. College girlfriend, when I was 19, was the first person I knew who did that.
    4: What is your favorite pickle? Kosher dills
    5: What is your favorite fruit jelly or jam? If. That’s not easy. Apricot. Blueberry-lime. Jalapeño. Really hard to pin down!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1) No
    2) Yes and I also like a cake made with rinsed sauerkraut which folks guess is coconut.
    3) No
    4) Bread and butter
    5) raspberry

    ReplyDelete