Saturday, January 28, 2017

Creative Outlets


What is the purpose of art?   Why do we create it, why do we look at it?  Can the audience be a part of art? 

I enjoy museums, now if you visit one with me, be prepared, I move through at a steady pace, pausing occasionally.  If the guidebooks say allow 4 hours for a museum, I will be done and out in 2 hours or less.  I have only met one person faster than me - I had a hard time keeping pace with dear Jen. 

Art can tell a story.  One theory is that early art was a way of communicating in a pre-literate or illiterate society.  Art can transmit emotions, sadness, happiness, loss, triumph, concentration, devotion, distraction or loss.  Art can reflect reality, or be a total flight of fantasy.  Art can be representational.  Art can be nothing that anyone has ever seen, heard or felt. Art can be tiny, or massive. 

I have taken photographs since I was about 10.  I have painted on and off since my late teens - a neighbor Ester Miller taught me to paint.  She was such fun, she described herself as a successful widow, she had burred two husbands, the first one left her a massive farm, the second one a VW, Porsche, Audi dealership.  She had more money than god, and she lived very normally in a modest condo and drove a VW, usually Karmann Ghia.  I took a silver jewelry casting and construction class at Rollins College, I keep promising myself I will go back to working in metals.  

What is your art form? 

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous1/28/2017

    I went to art school. When I was a kid I went to Tate (the original one in London) and stood infront of a Van Gough. Although the place was busy that day, for a couple of minutes I was able to stand looking at it without any one else around me. It was actually very emotional. Thinking he'd stood and painted it, looking at it as I was. Me? I take a lot of photographs. Not sure but think I saw the Degas ballet dancer in Boston.
    JP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Degas, the picture was taken in the National Gallery in DC, it may have been on load?

      Delete
  2. knitting...2 sticks and a string = a scarf, a sweater, a blanket. one-of-a-kind, never to be repeated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. art is itsself and very vital.

    ReplyDelete