Tuesday, August 09, 2016

Habits


Habits, we all have them.  Some are healthy, others are not.  They are a part of who we are, a part we can change, but change is not always easy.  The picture is my brother-in-law Pete.  He is a really nice guy, even if he is likely to vote for tRump.  And yes he smokes.  It is his habit, it is something he does.  It does not make him more or less of a person, it is just something he does.  

I chose not to smoke.  I have to admit, I like the smell, I even like the taste.  But smoking is dirty and expensive.  I have always been a little stingy and I think the money part was an important factor in my choice.  That and my car and my space is dirty enough without ash and debri.  The closest I get is second hand smoke, and for the most part I don't let it bother me, at times I even enjoy it.  My father quit smoking about 4 years before I was born.  A few years ago, my oldest brother quit.  At Thanksgiving that year my brother remarked that he still found the smell attractive, my normally quiet father spoke up and said, "hell it had been over 50 years and cigarettes still smell good" to him.  A very difficult habit to break.  

Oh and smoking is not healthy, well I do lots of things that are not healthy.  My choices are my choices.  I choose my vices, Pete chooses his.  

2 comments:

  1. my nasty habit is sweets - candy, cookies, cake, ice cream, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is good to have a few bad habits so when you are ill you can forgo them and feel better. Otherwise you are like a sinking ship with no freight to throw overboard.

    ReplyDelete