Tuesday, December 06, 2016

What I Learned from Growing up On A Farm


So I grew up on a funny farm, actually a honey farm, but definitely out in the country surrounded by mostly small traditional family farms with cows, pigs and chickens far outnumbering people.  What did I learn from that? 


  • Life is easier in the proper season. You can fool mother nature and sprout seeds out of season, but you have to work a lot harder than letting them grow in season. You can try to be a teenager in your 40's, but it is a lot of work to fool father nature. 
  • Crop failures happen.  Bad things happen to good people, who have done everything right, a fluke in the weather, an unexpected pest can wipe out an entire years harvest.  In all walks of life, you have to be prepared to survive the bad year when it happens.  
  • Bounty happens.  A couple of days of the right weather and an average crop, can turn into a record setting crop.  Windfalls happen in all walks of life - the secret is to not squander them when they happen.  
  • A fresh start is just around the corner.  The birds, the bees, the seeds, are always there waiting for their season in the sun. 
  • From the stinkiest manure, grows the sweetest clover. Sometimes you have to endure the unpleasant, to get to the pleasant. 
What one thing from your childhood, shapes your day? 



5 comments:

  1. Anonymous12/06/2016

    Don't get too high when things go your way, nor too low when they don't.
    JP

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the things you learned. Sadly, my childhood lessons were not ones that shape my days in sweet ways, so I don't want to bother with those here. I did, thankfully, learn better lessons as an adult, which made me grateful and philosophical... and a lot less bitter. When I was growing up, I could have used some of that honey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Negativity......I can't abide it

    ReplyDelete
  4. that I am NOT stupid, ugly, and someone who wouldn't amount to anything! my parents were WRONG!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No wonder you have such a wonderful temperament given your gifts from childhood.

    ReplyDelete