Thursday, December 10, 2020

Politics - and other rambles


I spent a few minutes looking back at my blog posts from four years ago.  My, but I was rude the third party voters who elected he-who-must-not-be-named (HWMNBN.)  I didn't need to go back and ask them how they felt about the outsider as President.  Pretty much anyone with common sense has cringed through this administration.  

It is obvious HWMNBN, didn't heed my advice.  He didn't get rid of Giuliani.  He surrounded himself with family and sycophants who reinforced what he wanted to hear.  He deepened the swamp, rather than draining it (Ivanka was recently deposed by the DC Attorney General's office for funneling public funding for inauguration events to family operated hotels, charging three times market rates for space.)   

I underestimated the depth of his racism, his running on the Wall should have alerted me to that. 

I didn't vote for him.  But I naively had some hope that he might set politics aside and do something productive.  Instead he spent nearly 1/4 of his term playing golf, and hours sending mindless tweets.  Interestingly he is threatening to veto the defense spending bill, unless it repeals liability protections for social media providers for the content posted by users.  That would make Facebook and Twitter responsible for damages for false or misleading content posted by users on their platforms- at least half of the garbage that HWMNBN posted on Twitter over the past few years.  Without that shield from liability, they would have to ban his accounts to keep from going bankrupt.  

His rants increasingly sound like the ravings of a madman.   

I have some hope for sanity starting January 20th.  Joe is a kind man, a man of integrity.  When he was Vice President he was the lunch speaker at a conference I attended.  He spoke of volunteering at legal aid.  That experience changes people.  (Been there, done that, my soul has the scars to prove it.) I am thrilled with Kamala Harris. She is young, she is bright, she is multiracial, she is a no nonsense for prosecutor, who also understands working, family, and the value of education.  She has my vote for 47.  

There is so much work to do, so many mistakes to undo, I hope the new administration if ready for the challenge. 

Sorry for the ramble, sometimes I just need to talk, 

I thought about not posting this.  I think there are a lot of us that are growing tired of faking it, that everything is or will be okay.  Things are a bit of a mess. 

Take care of yourself, stay safe, stay well.  



   
 

16 comments:

  1. The USA isn't out of the woods yet, but at least that crazed asshole will no longer be at the helm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12/10/2020

    I am so pleased you did. It is all very well for us outside to sit with slack jaws as we stare in amazed but we need to hear views from the reasonable and sensible people of the US rather than the Tweets of a mad criminal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I held back, my feelings are stronger.

      Delete
  3. Yes, everything IS a bit of a mess. I feel like doing a ramble, too. But I'm afraid mine might never end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if there is a limit on how long blogger would let me ramble on? I know there are limits to what most people will read.

      Delete
  4. Your blog, your thoughts, your ramble, your post.
    With the Complicit GOP still around, Biden-Harris have their work cut out for them, but I seen a glimmer of light on the horizon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At times I wish I had the backbone to say the things, you do.

      Delete
  5. unfortunately, the dump will NEVER go away until he drops dead. hopefully soon. FUCK 2020!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a forgettable year.

      Delete
  6. No need to apologize. We all need to let off steam every now and then and recently it seems like it's needed more often than in the past. Given the reaction of his contingent of followers to election results, I think we are in for more rough times. The MAGA set has lost all ability to think rationally.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will feel much better if we can win those two senate seats. Otherwise all the good work and fixing of this country won't won't because the senate will just paralyze Biden and Harris. McConnell has to go too. It also upsets me to know the trump his family and many others will just walk a way and get away with all they did. That to me is extremely unacceptable. It only shows that the next crazed racist who runs won't have to fear of any punishments. Trump and all those others have to face punishment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. McConnel - how he gets elected by the same people he consistently screws over. In DC he is known as the obstructionist.

      Delete
    2. McConnell does rather shock me too, since he comes from one of the more poorer states, and represents a mostly poor area. I guess he figures if he losses he can fall back on his wife Elaine's billions.

      Delete
  8. I too like these sort of posts. I am glad you post them.

    ReplyDelete