Wednesday, December 23, 2020

The Way We Were Wednesday - Christmas Memories




This would have been my second christmas, my sister says the doll was mine.  My father loved the aluminum Christmas free, no lights and no needles.  My mother wanted lights, and electric lights on a metal tree were not recommended.  I have at least one of the ornaments from that tree.  When we were cleaning out Dad's house after he died, I grabbed a little santa figurine out of the glass cabinet in the dining room.  I thought it was something my mother had picked up after they retired to Florida.  Then I scanned this slide, and sitting there on the front corner of the TV, is the santa figurine.  Connections across a lifetime.   
 

14 comments:

  1. That's great!!!!! My favorite grandmother had the same tree and had a light under it that uplit it. She had it illuminated in blue light with blue balls....she always said blue and silver was calming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember it rattling around the attic over the garage for years.

      Delete
  2. I love the magic of discovering the Santa figurine in this photo. And I really, really want that TV cabinet. How I wish I had ours from the '50s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have vague memories of it still in use. It took about 5 minutes to warm up, and get three channels

      Delete
  3. What a find! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like you picked up a few of those when you were home last fall. Memory triggers. Some day I will blog about the milk-glass mug, with my name on it in red, that my mother or grandmother bought for me at the Kroger store in Lapeer when I was about 6.

      Delete
  4. What a fun photo. It makes me think of childhood Christmases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems like just yesterday in some ways.

      Delete
  5. We had a silver aluminum tree like that when I was a kid too, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The latest cutting edge technology of the day

      Delete
  6. my aunt had one of those "big shiny aluminum xmess trees" with the color wheel underneath. the 60s. ugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ho ho ho, nothing says Christmas like Reynold Aluminum

      Delete
  7. Anonymous12/23/2020

    It's a wonderful unposed photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so lucky to get dad's slides

      Delete