Thursday, December 17, 2020

Zoom-Zoom


Only 9 years ago, Zoom-Zoom was Mazda's sales slogan in the USA for a few months.  I bought one of the cars in the "If it is not worth driving, it is not worth building - Zoom-Zoom era."  In 2020 Zoom took on an entire new meaning, being the massively used video meeting platform.  I have been using Google video chat for over a dozen years.  When we were working 500 miles apart, we used it almost everyday to spend quality time together when we were apart.  So I took to Zoom like a duck to water.  

Zoom has a virtual background option.  My desk at home, is in the end of my bedroom, as I point out there is an unmade bed over my right shoulder, and art supplies over my left shoulder, as soon as I discovered the virtual background option I started using it.  It allows you to upload your own images.  It is a little tricky to find, on the virtual background popup, there is a "+" sign, click that and follow the prompts.  I change my background image at least once a week.  The photo above was last week.  

I use a headset for sound, the boom microphone gives a little better sound and the headphones hide my hair, that has not been cut in about 10 months.  I have a circular broadcast light, an overstock deal of the day on Amazon, that I use as needed.  The computer is connected to the WiFi box with an ethernet cable.  If I am on a platform that does not have a virtual background I have a pop-up green screen backdrop that I can open up, it is blue on the opposite side, I did two full days of training with the blue background propped up against the easel behind my chair.

With all of that, life is just zooming along.  Not a skill I expected to perfect in 2020, but 2020 was the year of the unexpected.  

Are you a Zoom user?   

15 comments:

  1. No....all my performances are done on another platform!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only once or twice. I stick to individual video calls on FaceTime, Skype, and WhatsApp. And I let them see my office background, although I should use some of my Mediterranean sea views. SG should definitely use a virtual background!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have used Facetime a few times, my office had Skype for business, but it never really caught on, WhatsApp I have not tried.

      Delete
  3. We zoom regularly with friends who have an account. I use Jitsi for work meetings (no account or passwords needed) and FT with anyone who has that option. Work just introduced MS Teams, but it does not work with most staff’s virtual desktops, so we can’t use it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have Teams, and it is really only used by a handful of people. Not my favorite, it has a virtual background option, but it is harder to find and use.

      Delete
  4. no, none of that junk for me. I'm strictly e-mail or telephone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might enjoy it, though you do have to put clothes on.

      Delete
  5. I use Zoom a lot. My art club is meeting by Zoom and I meet with friends for happy hours and dinner parties by zoom and We have a standing Sunday afternoon happy hour on zoom. For work we use Microsoft Teams. It works pretty much the same as zoom. Thank heavens for all of these communication methods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We rolled out Zoom in January as a replacement for our conference call service (significantly cheaper.) I agree, it has kept me working this year.

      Delete
  6. Not ever. I like the idea of not having to shave or wash the hair or even put on clean clothes and do business from home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew a beard, the headset hides the hair. I do have to remember to dress from the waist up.

      Delete
  7. I use Google video chat. I've never zoomed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The biggest difference, is zoom makes it easy to join larger groups.

      Delete
  8. Yes and it is a mixed bag. The young patients have no problems, but thems over 60 raise a mighty huge fuss to try to use it.

    ReplyDelete