Thursday, January 09, 2020

We all Have Our Limits

I took this in Rome 3 years ago, the Pope usually does a public appearance in Vatican Square on Sunday morning.

I reached my limit of being nice and snapped at one of my high school classmates on FB the other day.  He posted political opinion from Fox, then started arguing with anyone who commented saying they thought it was faux news.  I commented, "when you post something like this and then start arguing with anyone who disagrees, you are being an @$$.  Be nice."  He had done this three weeks ago, I had actually put him on a 30-day hiatus on FB, then his wife posted on FB that he was back in the hospital (he is seriously ill and going to die one of these days) and I undid the suspension.  He responded that he was just exercising his first amendment rights - he was, but he was also purposefully inciting people so he could stir the pot.  

I felt bad about calling him out.  He has a right to post his misguided political opinions, to express his internalized self hatred.  

I should try to be better than. 

But even the Pope has a breaking point, and yes the Pope felt bad about it and apologized.  




Should I apologize

12 comments:

  1. HELL NO! call out the h8!

    I just blocked a fellow blogger yesterday because he posted a racist sentence AND he made fun of a person with a disability in his recent scribbling. I let him know I was offended and why and why I was blocking him. hope his 3 kids don't grow up to be assholes like their daddy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill has quit mentioning his gay son, since the son moved away - maybe to get away from the racism and homophobia of his father.

      Delete
  2. No you should not “try” to be better than. You “are” better than. He’s an ass spreading lies. If he doesn’t want to be called out, he shouldn’t post his idiocy. I don’t know if I’m right or wrong but I figure I won’t change anyone’s opinion in that forum, so I tend to unfriend and/or block people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I get closer to retirement (yes I have a date on the calendar) I am less inclined to be polite.

      Delete
  3. No, you were just expressing your "first amendment rights" too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tend to ignore people who say stupid things, I don't see the point in arguing with stupid. Thanks for showing that clip, every news station with it on would make me watch commercials and then say the clip was unavailable. I don't blame the pope, there people who want to kill him, I would punch that lady for grabbing me like that! Lol, just joking... maybe. I think Debra has a point as well, if someone says something really out there and offensive, they can't whine when people call them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lot of news services shortened this clip to show just the Pope trying to get out of her grip and didn't show her grabbing him and pulling him to her.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous1/09/2020

    There is a big difference between an informed opposite view to your own and outright ignorance, idiocy and stupid provocation. Oh, it sounds like I talking about #45.

    ReplyDelete
  6. God no! The 1st Amendment doesn't protect anybody from criticism or from there being consequences for what was said. Yes we all have the right to be flaming idiots, and we also have of right not to just sit by and put up with flaming idiots. Frankly, if he ends up dying friendless, he's merely reaping what he sowed. (As you know, I tend to be much crueler than you when it comes to such things. I'm retired and I had quite enough of making nice to scumbags when I was working.)

    ReplyDelete