Thursday, June 06, 2019

Random Thoughts


Don't get me started on:

  • The Mango Menace and his tweets 
  • Twitter, random meaninglessness taken as gospel 
  • Fake leaders, complaining about fake news
  • Brexit - and protectionism 
  • Hiring the wrong person for the right job 
  • Playing injured - welcome to adult life 
  • People trying to borrow their way out of debt 
  • Teaching to the test 
  • Flint's water 
  • Religious terrorists taking over government - 
  • Abortion bans 
  • Elon Musk 
  • Short Term Thinking in a long term world 
  • Failure to modernize our immigration laws 
  • The difference in pronunciation between "the oven" and "the cat"

How to Pronounce the

  • Normally, we pronounce the with a short sound (like "thuh"). But when thecomes before a vowel sound, we pronounce it as a long "thee".
    vowel soundwritesay
    athe applethee apple
    ethe eggthee egg
    ithe ice-creamthee ice-cream
    othe orangethee orange
    uthe ugli fruitthee ugli fruit

  • https://www.englishclub.com/pronunciation/the.htm 
All of these could start a random rant.  I will kindly avoid them. 

What are you avoiding these days? 

6 comments:

  1. Well today, a neighbor. When I got home she was outside. She's sweet, but gawd, shes starts talking, good luck getting away from her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the co-worker we all call "the princess". he's a total asshole.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mostly what you’re avoiding... and the doctor! Even the oven and the cat! A regular conversation with my Spanish friends. But why?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sex (yeast infection, you know). Ha! That's just getting back at you for the thee thuhs running thru my head right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had an English born grandmother, who a stickler for pronunciation and grammar. This morning having breakfast at the hotel, I overheard the misuse of the word “got” and wanted to stop and correct the gentleman. Hope you are feeling better soon, yeast loves those warm moist places.

      Delete
    2. I guy once told me that I needed to watch my "pronounciation". I just giggled. I say nukular instead of nuclear just to piss off my anal retentive baby sister. I never, ever say Anne Marie's favorite word. The one accusing a person of practicing incest with his mommy. I pronounce all of the syllables properly so it loses something.
      Hey, have you seen Weird Al's video of his song Word Crimes? I think you would enjoy it.
      By the way, I don't have naturally moist places anymore. My yeast goes after my natural sweetness! Okay, uncontrolled blood sugar. Oh dear, I'm on the unfiltered, rambling tmi trail again!

      Delete