Friday, June 07, 2019

Nice Car!

I guess there are car people, and not car people.  I went to dinner with a friend in Ft Worth, and a couple were getting into a McLaren in the valet line out front.  I stopped and stared, my friend had no idea, she said, it looks awfully low to the ground.  And it is, I'd need help getting in and out of it.  But it is special.  I'll never own one, unless someone gives me a winning lottery ticket, but I admire them.  It is made to go very-very fast, handle like a dream and stop on a dime. It is not designed to be comfortable or easy to get in and out of.  

Why do fast and exotic cars matter? They are amazing design, fun to look at, listen to and watch.  They are also developmental test beds for things that will end up in your daily driver, or self driving car.  We take disk brakes for granted, they were developed for high performance cars that needed better braking, and anti-lock brakes, and traction control - those along with airbags have reduced traffic fatalities to all time lows.  People walk away from accidents today, that were fatal just 40 years ago.  I know it is more government regulation - a good thing to.  

Would you drive one if it was given to you?

5 comments:

  1. Drive one? I never even heard of one. The fanciest car I was ever in was Daddy Warbucks' car, a Maserati. And that was like driving on a cloud. I shutter to think what he paid for that to ship to Europe when he vacated the states.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HELL NO! my arthritis would be screaming in pain. and the car is FUGLY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. David, honey, I repeat, I do not wear cars! I can't even sit in folding chairs anymore. I'd be a sardine in a can, and hunky firemen would have to use the jaws of life to get me out (that's almost worth it). I'd sell it to someone who can appreciate it's high end squattiness. Yes, I make up words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd probably drive it. Once. And then I'd sell it. I love the new affordable line at $200,000! Sorry. I just don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like a pragmatic car with good gas mileage and nearby dealership to go for maintenance.

    ReplyDelete