Thursday, March 16, 2017

Talking About Unmentionables


I said in a comment recently that "life is too short to wear uncomfortable underwear," that comment drew a response that underwear would make a good blog topic.  So here I am mentioning my unmentionables.  

First off, sorry no pictures of me in my undies, this is not that kind of a blog.  If you are so inclined there is a blog that chronicles the daily underwear of a guy in New York.  There is a little bit of everything out there in blog land.  

Like most guys my age, raised in the middle of the country, my mother started me out in cheap, utilitarian white briefs.  When I was in my teens in the 1970's colors and briefer styles became available in mens' underwear.  Buying school clothes one fall, my mother either became aware of my desire for something different, or grew frustrated at my inability to make a choice in the underwear selection at Hudson's and said, "pick out what ever you want."  I did and I was liberated from tighty-whitey land.  For a decade or to I sampled colors, fabrics and cuts. Some of these were comfortable, some were not (thongs for example) but almost anything was better than bulky, cotton briefs.  

Sometime in the early 1980s I bought my first pair of Calvin Klein underwear.  They were a fly-less hipster brief, in a really great fabric, they were the most comfortable thing I had ever worn. They were pricey, a single pair cost as much as a three pack of trashy white briefs at K-Mart - but oh my god they felt great.  I continued to experiment, with colors and cuts, trying other brands, fashion boxers, jocks, and even nothing at all, but for comfort I kept going back to my Calvins. Each year I would look for the latest styles, colors and fabrics.  

In the late 1990's along came a company named Under Armour. The founder of UA was looking to create a more comfortable base layer for athletes. Comfort was the number one goal of all designs and fabric choices.  I bought my first pair of gawd-awful expensive UA boxer-briefs in basic black.  The high tech fabrics, design and craftsmanship made them the most comfortable undies I had ever owned. 

Over the past 15 years I have primarily worn UA undies.  I have tried other brands that brag about comfort or quality, but keep going back to UA for comfort and quality. I realized a few months ago that I had settled into a rut, all but three pairs that I owned were black. So this year I diversified, adding neon-green, teal, blue, maroon, and some prints into the rotation.  They are expensive, even on sale you can expect to pay $15 -$20 per pair.  To me they are worth it for two reasons, durability and comfort. I still mix up styles from time to time, at times the freedom of boxers feels just right, at the right time a jock is so sexy, and I have a handful of other brands of undies, but UA is the go to in my closet. 

I think a lot of men are hung up worrying what other people would think if they wore anything other than basic uncomfortable underwear.  Well life is to short to worry about what others might think, life is too short to wear uncomfortable underwear.  

So tell us about your unmentionables?  

  

14 comments:

  1. Anonymous3/16/2017

    OMG I can't wait to read Warrior Queen's answer ... but we already know her answer ... hahaha!

    ~ Freckles

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHAT unmentionables? NOTHING comes between me and my boobs/kitty!

    PS - ^^^^^ bitches (and I say that with affection)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boxer briefs or, yeah, nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tighty whities here...I like 'em snug...don't want my junk migrating south!

    :-)

    -Andy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the cotton used in 2Xist underwear, but I tend to wear a lot of Equipo boxer briefs lately.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I, like Warrior Queen, wear no unmentionables. I swing free. I have since high school much to my mother's dismay when my underwear simply disappeared from the laundry. I honestly don't understand the purpose of it. Why wear more clothing than one has to?
    However In yoga class I do wear Calvin boxer briefs but only because it has been requested due to the co-ed nature of the class. I respect their request.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Comfortable off white.............ok grey ......shorts

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heh. I love the fact that here we are - essentially strangers, yet friends in cyberspace - discussing our underwear, or lack of, something we may well not do were we to meet in real life!

    I wear cotton bikinis, and have done for years. Whatever is cheapest at Target, because I find they are just as comfy as the more expensive bloomers I have purchased from fancy lingerie shops back in the day. I don't think my partner really notices what I'm wearing any more, or if he does, he does, he no longer mentions it.
    Speaking of him, he switched to cotton boxers a few years back after many years of being bunched up in bikinis. He reckons the freedom of boxers is way better than the support he kidded himself he needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and THIS is what makes da net so great! where ya from, rozzie?

      Delete
  9. I live in Brisbane, Australia, mate. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHOA! a sheila! glad to know ya, rozzie! :)

      Delete
  10. I like boxers; don't like no tight things.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello!! I'am glad to read the whole content of this blog and am very excited.Thank you.
    ตารางคะแนน

    ReplyDelete