Thursday, October 10, 2024

Thursday Ramble: Real Bookstores.






Last Thursday evening, I went out for a walk.  After my post lunch nap, I looked at a map of the area around the hotel and found that I was only a few blocks from the Flatiron Building. I had never seen the building, famous in early photos of New York.  Sweetie Bear wished to continue his nap, so off I went on a nice walk. 

The Flatiron building is currently wrapped in scaffolding, undergoing renovations after more than 120 years in the City.

About a block away, by The Rizzolo Bookstore caught my eye.  I went in for a wander.  It is not the biggest bookstore, but it is elegant and refined.  It has an artsy, fartsy vibe that I love.  The offerings in local books, art books, history, photography, and philosophy are carefully curated to offer the best. The last room has the delightful orange chairs for authors to talk about their work. 

I purchased a volume of translations of Seneca, titled "How to Die" (I am doing research for a book project on legal and ethical issues in end of life.) I couldn't hold back by feelings, I told the young clerk that "I wished the store was across the street from where I live."

I miss real bookstores.  There are a few of them around.  I try to buy something and encourage them to stay around.  My local here in Alexandria, just doubled in size.   

No comments:

Post a Comment