Friday, October 04, 2024

100 Ways to Slightly Improve Your Travel Experience: #26 Global Entry


In the United States the trusted international travel program is called Global Entry. There are similar programs in Europe. 

For these programs you apply, a more detailed background check is conducted. And in person interview is done. You submit photos and fingerprints are taken at the interview.  If you are approved, you can use the express lane at Customs and Immigration when entering the USA. The entry process varies from time to time, and from airport to airport. You go to a self serve machine, sometimes you scan your passport, sometimes you don't, a photo is taken, sometimes you answer a few simple questions, sometimes you don't. The last time I used it, there was a brief interaction with a customs officer, by the time I got to the front of the line he looked at me, looked at the computer and said, "Welcome home David, have a nice evening" and waived me by.  The entire process usually takes less than 5 minutes. 

Global Entry includes TSA Pre-Check.  Two out of Three times I have been able to use it to enter the express lane in Canada. 

There is an application fee, and the approval has to be renewed every five years. I think it currently costs me about $100 every five years.  

9 comments:

  1. Your full of good advice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not the first time I have been told I was full of something

      Delete
  2. Things are improving in this area. When we arrive back in Australia, it is a passport scan and then stand still for photo id, and we are through. No waiting. Even the nightmare that is Heathrow arrivals there is a much shorter queue for us with electronic passports. To this day, I still hear nightmare stories of arriving at LA Airport. For us, JFK and Newark airports were fine, aside from absurdly priced food at Newark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a tip for dealing with absurdly priced airport food.

      Delete
  3. A time-saver indeed; especially welcome upon arriving home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have Global Entry. We were at Charles deGaulle and the line to get through Security was horrendous, even with the TSA Pre. I was so jealous of those who had Global Entry. They walked right through their gate and probably right to the airport lounge for a relaxing drink/snack.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My friends Julie and Dave have Global Entry. They travel internationally quite often. In fact they are in Paris right this moment. When I came back from London last October, I noticed how totally different customs was from the last time I went through it. It seems to change all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't imagine I will be going overseas any more. Sounds like a good investment, tho, for those that do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've discovered that improving my travelling experience means to stay put!

    ReplyDelete