Thursday, October 24, 2024

The Thursday Ramble: Toys


There is an old saying, that "he who dies with the most toys wins." My favorite toy, has four wheels and a top that folds up and disappears under the "boot" cover. 

My father had a list of a dozen reasons why a convertible was a bad idea. He could get quite adamant about how stupid an open top car was.  They leak, they cost more, they are noisier, they have no back seat room, they have no trunk space, and there are lots of moving parts that are sooner or later going to cause problems.  All valid points. 

When I was a teenager, a friend of mine had an MG-A, and open top British sports car that he and his father had completely rebuilt.  It had a rain cover for the passenger compartment, and no top to close.  I rode with him in it a couple of times, it was thrilling.  Then in my early 20's I had an affair with a lovely person who had an MG-B, in British Racing Green.  She let me drive it, with the top down, the radio turned up, and the wind in our hair (and I had hair back then.)  I fell in love with the idea of a convertible (cabriolet.) 

And my fathers tirade rang in my ears, and I looked past them to sensible four door sedans, and five door hatchbacks.  I have owned a lot of reliable but not thrilling cars, and a hand full of really nice cars. Only one, a Cadillac ever drew a real compliment from my father.  

And yet the desire for an open top never faded.  A sunroof, helped, but is not the same.  A few months after my father died, I had my reliable sensible little Mazda in for service, and I wandered around the dealers lot while I waited. They had a BMW convertible they had taken in trade, I looked at the price, and thought about the balance in my account and the light went on, that I could own what I dreamed about.  

I looked for 2 or 3 weeks, and came across the little white VW Eos. The top disappears at the touch of a button, it is comfortable enough.  It was a few years old with not very many miles on it. I bought it for a price I could pay cash for as a toy. I kept the sensible car and figured I would play with the toy for a couple of years and keep the sensible car.  Two years later, I sold the sensible car and kept the toy.  

Within reason, allow yourself toys, things that make you happy.  When the top goes down, the smile comes up. Same for me, as the man driving the Ferrari I parked next to the other afternoon at the bookstore.  

16 comments:

  1. My south American boys are my toys! And believe me, a smile always comes up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rumor has it, that is not all that comes up.

      Delete
  2. I fully agree with your father, but if being exposed to the elements pleases you, then why not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The guy with the red Ferrari appears to have parked on the paved walkway at the side so I would slap a parking ticket on his vehicle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bad photo, there is a curb there and a grassed area. He is much more likely to get a speeding ticket, the car looks too fast, when it is sitting still. You would look good in one of those.

      Delete
  4. Happiness is important; sensibility is, too.
    But happiness feels so much better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really a different driving experience with the top down. And probably connects me back to good times of younger years.

      Delete
  5. We all need to kick over the traces of sensibility once in a while!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life is to short to always be sensible.

      Delete
  6. I had a Lexus convertible for awhile. What a fun little car! It started to need more and more repairs. I reluctantly traded it in when it was time to get a new a new car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Lexus is pretty. I probably won't buy another one when this one is finished.

      Delete
  7. I have a 2007 Hyundai Elantra with a sunroof that I have rarely ever opened. No convertible toys for me - I'm too cheap! I do have a Hot Wheels version of my favorite car - the 1963 Corvette! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a 2008, it had about 45,000 miles on it, I bought it on a snowy February day, for a little less than $9,000. I only drive it about 1,500 miles a year.

      Delete
  8. My dad was the opposite. He loved a nice convertible. My dad gave me a Tempest convertible for me to drive my senior year in high school. Once I left school, I had to buy it from him. I kept that car for 6 years. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete