Wednesday, October 09, 2024

My World of Wonders aka the Wednesday Ws October 9th edition




Where have I been this week? New York City, we went up last Wednesday and returned on Saturday. Sunday I needed to go to the grocery store, Monday the bank, Tuesday into the City for a surprise party for a former colleague who is getting married.

What is next?  I am home for two or three months, most likely the next trips will be New York to see a blogger and Phoenix near the end of January.

How Was the trip? Wonderful, I had a three nice walks in an area of NYC I had not spent a lot of time in.  The train up and back was comfortable, and only a few minutes behind schedule.  The hotel room made cruise ship cabins look spacious, but was comfy and quiet. 

What have I been eating? Lunch on Thursday kabobs at a Persian restaurant, lunch on Friday was New York deli food at Juniors in Times Square, Sunday I made a beef stew. 

Who deserves a big Thank You this week?  The condo security staff, I left the headlights on my car on the other evening and they called to let me know, just in time. 

What is in the photos above? The Post Office in the Moynihan Train Station at Penn Station in New York.  The original greek revival Penn Station was town down in the late 50's early 60's to build the Madison Square Gardens Arena, the train station was moved underground, under the Arena.  It was cramped and really ugly.  Across the street was a massive central post office in the same style as the original Penn Station, that was largely no longer used.  So it was converted to the new Moynihan Train Hall, it is elegant, and bright and very pleasant.  Across the front of it, there is the restored original retail part of the post office. Is it better in black and white or color? 

What made me laugh this week? I have been binge watching old British sitcoms, the Vicar of Dibley this week. 

What was the strangest sight of the week?  The Naked Cowgirl in Times Square, she has to be at least 80 years old, gravity has not been kind to her.  I didn't take a photo. 

What am I reading?  I finished "Finding Your Landing Zone: life beyond the bar," (I am reviweing this one for the "Voice of Experience") and How to Die. I am in the middle of "The Great Gatsby" and "It is good to suck at something."  Gatsby is a reread from high school, I still find the characters and narrators hard to follow - easy to confuse. The other book talks about the joys of doing something you enjoy doing, even if you are not great at doing it.  

What was the great AhHa moment of the week? Returning home from an adventure and not having to think about returning to the office. 





 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment