Tuesday, January 04, 2022

Travel Tuesday - Weather



 Thinking back, I have only had a couple of times when weather changed my travel plans.  A few years ago I was scheduled to fly to California one January, and the weather looked a lot like this that morning, the airline rescheduled me for the next day, and I missed a night in a hotel on the beach.  One fall I was flying to Florida, and a hurricane was  coming up the east coast, it had passed Florida, and was headed north.  I called the airline and asked if I could get out before the storm arrived here. The initial answer was no, then I reasoned with the reservations desk, if I wait 12 hours, the flight from here will be cancelled because of the weather, if you can get me out now, you get the revenue.  "Let me check with a supervisor!" A minute later the answer was yes, along with a "thank you we just changed the policy on changes, and by the way, I moved you into business class for the flight out." Sometimes it pays to ask nicely.  

This is what Monday looked like.  The first snow of the season.  The most snow we have had in a couple of years. It has been a while since we have seen 5 or 6 inches around here. I had another Travel Tuesday post planned, you will see it in a few weeks.    

18 comments:

  1. Omg!!!!! And to think...it was 63 degrees here yesterday. No snow in our forecast, but maybe some rain later in the week. I'm ready for snow. We had a dusting last week, but I was gone by the afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was a weird one, the snow was deeper south of the storm than north - and yes Sunday I thought about putting the top down on the car.

      Delete
  2. From this distance, it’s a winter wonderland! And that much snow in the DC area! I remember an inch of snow crippling the city! Currently a sunny and frigid 52F here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Feds shut down yesterday

      Delete
    2. Travel:
      How can you tell? Oh, wait. I know. Marjorie Taylor Green shut up.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous1/04/2022

    I never imagined your city would be so cold and receive snow like that.

    What great work you did to pre-empt the hurricane and an upgrade no less.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snow like this doesn't happen often, but it does happen. The running joke is that the DC area refuses to believe it snows here and has very little equipment to deal with it. More than an inch (2.5cm) can cripple the city under the right conditions. But there are some pleasant sides to it. E.g. on the first snow day, when schools and businesses are closed, people living around Dupont Circle gather in the park in the middle of the circle for a huge impromptu snowball fight.

      Delete
    2. It happens, not often, but it happens

      Delete
  4. I know it's messy and makes getting around a nightmare, but I love the snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not going anyplace for a couple of days, unless we drive the car that is in the garage

      Delete
  5. I love snow, and we had our first snowfall here in central VA too. I am out of school again today! No complaints here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is cold out there this morning

      Delete
  6. Hmmmm, travel delays due to bad weather . . . I've driven in a few blizzards that I should not have, and once was storm-stayed on Christmas Eve in North Battleford, Saskatchewan because of a bad blizzard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only once drove when I shouldn't have

      Delete
  7. Wow, that is a LOT of snow. I just heard on the news this morning about people being stuck on I95 in Virginia because of this storm. I guess I need to quit complaining about our nine days of dark skies. It could have been way worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are on the north side of the section of I 95 that was blocked overnight

      Delete
  8. Patience above!
    I remember this sort of stuff; January incarnate that is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have to drive everyday, it will melt off

      Delete