Tuesday, January 11, 2022

Travel Tuesday - Love Hate Relationship with Cars and Driving


A few months ago I did a series on some of the cars I have owned, lots of cars.  Most were utilitarian, a handful were spectacular. I love cars, I enjoy the design, the style, to comfort, the performance.  In the right moment, I like pushing car near its limits going through a tight corner.  But at the same time, I drive because I need to, not because I especially enjoy it.  Truth be told at times I hate driving.  Driving is better in a comfortable car, putting the top down on the little car on a pretty day, always lightens my mood.  If I won the PowerBall, there are a few fantasy cars I would try - a Rolls, a Ferrari, but even then I probably wouldn't draw great pleasure from driving.  I am weird that way.  

The photo above?  We live in an area with a lot of nice cars, a lot of people with a lot of disposable income and good credit. The kind of a place where a teenager learns to drive in a Porsche. A fun place to live, I am not from here, I started driving in a 1965 Ford pickup truck.   

 

13 comments:

  1. I love the comfort, the performance, and features cars have now, but boy... where is the drama of style and design?!?!?! Cars look lackluster to me. Give me the styling of a vintage Citroen any day. My grandfather had one, and it was love at first sight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you still fall in lust with the right curves in the right places?

      Delete
  2. Anonymous1/11/2022

    It is a nice looking car. I say I hate driving but I don't really. I hate other drivers who just constantly do the wrong thing and make me feel unsafe. Driving was once a pleasurable thing to do for its own sake. Not now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The traffic here can be challenging

      Delete
  3. When I was 16, I wanted a Corvette. Today I'm happy with a Honda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see you in a Corvette convertible

      Delete
  4. I learned to drive in a 1969 VW Beetle.
    I'd be terrified learning to drive in a Porsche!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obviously Mommy and Daddy's money

      Delete
  5. Now that bumper sticker on the rear of a Porsche is really tacky! When I was in high school and had just obtained my license, I wanted an orange Porsche. I joked about it often enough (every time I saw one). The Kid Brother thought it was serious and asked our father why he hadn’t yet bought one for me. Whenever he saw one, he’d yell “Mitchell’s car!” I also liked Bentleys. Now, I really don’t care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd fit in an orange Targa,

      Delete
  6. I learned to drive in a 1960s Datsun. Manual transmission.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I learned to drive in my parents' huge Mercury Marquis, fondly nicknamed "Bubba." When I graduated from college, my parents gave a stick shift, 4 cylinder VW Rabbit to me. I didn't know how to drive a stick so my brother gave me lessons. One day, we were on a steep hill and he yelled, "STOP!" I did and then he said, "Now you can go." That was my lesson on not stalling out on a hill. Lastly, my husband had a Sebring convertible and I drove the "Mom Van." My husband needed to use the van and then my friend called and asked if I could drive for the school carpool that day. It was a mild winter day, I jammed 5 middle school girls in that car, and then all at once the girls got the idea to put the top down. They thought they were the coolest pulling up to school in a convertible. Yeah, I got lots of looks but Carpe Diem!

    ReplyDelete