Friday, January 28, 2022

Fun Friday - Things People Sometimes Want to Say

I know this was done as a window display in a furniture specialty shop, but I wonder how many people have asked to buy this stack of books?  I was tempted. 

I have a couple of funny signs in my office.  

One says "Trust me I am a Lawyer." Yea, I know, I know, I have heard and met most the lawyer jokes.  

Another one says "I Can Explain It To You, But I Can't Understand It For You." On the limits of understanding, I always reach back the concept of a "reverse triangular merger."  I had to describe how those work in an exam once, but I couldn't tell you today.  When I ask a room (Zoom) full of lawyers if they can explain that concept, they understand, that not everyone understands the things that they think are simple and common knowledge.  Sometimes we have to remind people that not everyone sees the world as they do. 

Sometimes humor is a great way of triggering understanding. 

How do you think a reverse triangular merger works? 
 

16 comments:

  1. Thirsting for knowledge, I looked it up. I'm now dehydrated knowledge wise. I couldn't understand the definition, let alone the concept. It's like when BH goes on and on with an explanation after I ask a yes or no question. Arrrgggghhhhh! All is good. I haven't bought the bat yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Deedles. My mind hurts.

    My favorite sign I used to have at work read. "Don't ask for anything today. Tomorrow doesn't look good either."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love those signs, along with one's about unruly children

      Delete
    2. A sign that has stuck with me for at least forty years now (it may have been a bumper sticker), had a picture of a very pregnant women on it, and it read: "Who said sex wasn't fattening?" It still makes me giggle.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous1/28/2022

    I don't know what it is and while I know knowledge is power, I feel a weakness coming on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I involves two corporations, giving birth to a third corporation, that eats the first two alive and remains the sole survivor.

      Delete
    2. Oooooh! Jurassic Corporate Park!

      Delete
  4. Exactly opposite a forward triangular merger.

    I had a sign at work that quoted Marx: “Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.” How do you think THAT works?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two meanings of one word, and fruit flies seldon fly in a straight line.

      Delete
    2. I gather the Marx involved was not Karl?

      Delete
  5. Isn't "reverse triangular merger" a sex position in the Kama Sutra?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had no idea what that meant so I looked it up. I still don't really understand it.

    ReplyDelete