Friday, May 11, 2018

Since High School

I started taking pictures young, and got serious in High School.  I was reading something on FB a couple of weeks ago and realized that one of my classmates is living about 90 miles from me.  I sent her a quick message on FB, and she replied with a short update on her life.  She asked if I was still taking pictures, she remembered the work I did in school, and wondered if I had turned pro.  I did work professionally for a few years after school.  I can spot every flaw in every picture.  It drove me crazy that people were paying for my mistakes, and I gave it up.  Photography is a great hobby, I capture thousands of images every year, but I was not cut out to make a living at it.  

When you were in school, what did people think you would do for a living, and did you? 

5 comments:

  1. I was constantly told I was too stupid/would never amount to much. the choices back in THOSE days were nun, mommy, nurse, teacher, airline hostess. girls were quite limited.

    I have been an office manager for a small business for the past 15 years; this is my longest-held job (I have been working since age 16).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a reasonably accomplished musician by the time I graduated, but knew that it was not an easy field to make a good living at. I didn't know what I would do.

    After my Dad's untimely passing just weeks after my graduation, I ended up in the Army, playing music in the US Army Fife and Drum Corps (I'm sure we performed at Mt. Vernon a few times) and I even wrote a couple of arrangements for the Corps.

    Upon separation, I took a job as a computer operator trainee, and ended up spending 41 years in IT. Interestingly, I've met many musicians who worked in IT, as both are 'orderly systems.'

    :-)

    -Andy

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were wise not to make your hobby into your job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No one thought of me let along wondered what I would be doing.

    ReplyDelete