Wednesday, December 13, 2017

A Modern Easy Life


After my grandfather died, my grandmother bought a house in Florida, near my parents.  When she moved in she remarked, this is the first home I have ever owned that had in inside bathroom when I bought it.  She has owned three homes before that, added indoor toilets in all of them.  My mother's family didn't have electricity until she was a teenager.  My father's boyhood home, had electricity before it had indoor plumbing.  

We take these modern conveniences, things that make our lives easier for granted.  I just finished reading David Lebovitz's latest book, L'appart.  The book tells the long and difficult tale of him buying and rebuilding an apartment in Paris.  He is a pastry chef and cook.  He had to have a nice kitchen.  He insisted on a 30 inch oven, a dishwasher, and a large refrigerator.  The French, didn't really understand his desire to have such large appliances in a small Paris apartment.  I did, I have never owned a home without them.  Oh, and a Microwave, I have had one since 1983.  My mother had one before that.  

Each generation has conveniences, that were unheard of luxuries in the generation before.  I am confident this will continue.  

What will be in my kitchen 20 years from now that I haven't even imagined today? 

4 comments:

  1. I got my current microwave around 1983, and it was used at that!

    I'm waiting for Rosie the Robot, from the Jetsons, she seems to be good company.

    :-)

    -Andy

    ReplyDelete
  2. "What will be in my kitchen 20 years from now that I haven't even imagined today?" ME?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Make that: Me baking a cake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In MY kitchen 20 years from now? A full-time cook?!?

    ReplyDelete