Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Wednesday W's, Progress


The Way We Were: When I was a child on the farm, my grandparents lived around the corner, on the same farm.  I was probably about 8 or 9 when my mother become comfortable with me cutting across the field, across the drainage ditch and across another field to the chicken coop / pool room, then up the lawn to grandma's house.  The first couple of times she called my grandmother so the two of them could talk and watch me cross the fields, you could see half from one house, half from the other, and be sure I was there safe and sound.  We didn't have a phone in the house until I was about 8.  

Where am I going?  Road trip to Lexington, Kentucky, northern Indiana and Cleveland.  Some work, some friends and family time.  I have two work trips in October, a vacation in December, and I may get to go to Arizona in January.  My old Hawaii fixer emailed asking if I could come next summer if she finds money for the airline tickets, buy me an airline and I will speak to your group.  

What are my hopes? That travel is going to establish a new normal of being able to go and do. 

Where have I been? The pharmacy for a COVID BiValent booster and flu vaccine.  Mt Vernon for the annual fall harvest fair and market.  Shopping for a new toaster, the one I have been using was in a box that collapsed dumping it contents on the floor during the remodel, and it was toast.  

What is happening with the kitchen?  There are a few little finish items left to do, a crooked handle, and a door that is chipped and needs replacing, caulking, changing out some shelf clips so I can move shelves around. I am hoping we can finish unpacking before I leave for the road trip.  I am loving cooking with the new appliances.  

Who have I seen? Just the usual suspects.  That will change with the road trip. 

Who deserves an atta boy? The appliance installer who somehow squeezed a 25.25 inch oven stack, in a 25.5 inch space.  Yes it fit, but oh that was tight.   

Who deserves a slap? The electrician who failed to notice that an outlet was too close to the sink and needed to be a ground fault interrupter.  He was slapped, failed the final inspection.  On a scale of 1 to 5, 1. If that is the worst thing I have to complain about this week, I am pretty lucky.  

What will I do to surprise you all? My program has been included in an annual fundraising event.  Success would make it easier to do some of the outreach and education work we want to do.  Next month I will post a couple of posts about what I really do for a living, and who I do it for, and the link for the fundraiser.  A major break in protocol, I don't think I have ever named my employer.  

What will I do next? Because of my travel schedule, next week's Wednesday Ws will be modified, I need to write it out of sequence.  I will try to find some entertaining way to do it.  


11 comments:

  1. It always surprises me when you talk about how rural your life was as you were growing up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I have come so far in life

      Delete
  2. We never lived near relatives growing up, perhaps because my Dad was in the AF and had little choice in where we lived. i like the idea of crossing the field to Grandma's house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once I started riding a bike, I could ride up and around the corner,

      Delete
  3. I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying the new kitchen.
    Your road trip sounds nice. You should get some glimpses of fall colors along the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little color coming through the mountains, headed farther north on Friday

      Delete
  4. Ooooooooo, looking forward to next month's Big Reveal! I have my own theories about who you work for and now I'll see if I'm right!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Safe travels...enjoy your road trip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm interested to know where you work, so this will be fun to find out.


    Sassybear
    https://idleeyesandadormy.com/

    ReplyDelete