Saturday, September 24, 2022

The Saturday Morning Post: Beauty


Beauty is all around us.  In the normal and mundane, and in the elaborate and intentional.  There is beauty in the simplicity of a single flower, in the complexity of a tree. 

In our day to day lives, it is easy to overlook the million little things around us, the marvels of complexity and simplicity.  There is an old line, to stop and smell the roses along the way.  A reminder to slow down and enjoy the beauty around us.  We spend so much of our lives rushing from place to place, duty to duty, stepping over, on, or past the wonders of the world.  

I had walked past this dozens of times, a wall covered in vines next to a parking space.  There is a rechargeable Audi in the parking space, a nice car.  And then one day I slowed down and I noticed the grotto on the wall.  A relatively complex work of art, that someone created, someone took the time to install, there in plain sight and missed by most who pass by day to day.  

As I age, I hope I am slowing down, noticing more, enjoying more, creating more. 

14 comments:

  1. A friend of mine once commented that I'm one of the few who seems to notice things, even such minor details that most never see. I blame my visual background. But he's right, I do take it all in when I'm someplace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your ability to notice made you good at what you do, and doing it, increased your perception

      Delete
  2. I would love that fountain for the terrace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How big is the terrace? Would it fit in my carry on?

      Delete
  3. Anonymous9/24/2022

    Slowing down and smelling the roses has come very naturally to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has taken physical dottering to slow me down.

      Delete
  4. A very wise post! Yes, we all need to slow down more and observe the beauty around us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some days I succeed, more than I use to

      Delete
  5. Like Maddie, I, too, am an observer and see all kinds of things that might remain hidden. I love spotting things others don't, though even I can slow down and try to take it ALL in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i find that I notice more things now that I seem to be losing sight in my left eye. I appreciate my surroundings more. Just sitting in the back yard laughing at the little squirrel that visits and all the tiny birds that go in and out of our rosemary bush. Very peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The squirrel is after nuts

      Delete
    2. Well, Cujo doesn't have his anymore and I protect BH's with my life! Hmmm... maybe you mean another kind of nut.

      Delete
  7. You made me realize there is very little beauty in my life these days. Where I live is hardly anything that way. I miss this.

    ReplyDelete