Saturday, March 26, 2022

The Saturday Morning Post: Spring Cleaning


For those of us on the top side of the earth, it is spring. Time for a little spring cleaning.  My parents grew up with wood or coal fired heat in the winter and spring cleaning was a major need, in my mother's family they rolled up the carpets for the summer.  I am not much of a housekeeper, and Brabinger the rumba does a good job on the floors, and Sweet Bear dusts more often I would. So it is not the house, but my mind that needs a spring clean. 

I moved into a supervisory position over the winter, and a new colleague started a week later.  I need to clear out the doubt about doing well. I have noticed that my concern about doing well, shows as a shadow over the joy.  

I need to dust away the past.  I was the one who said, just because it is the way we always did things, does not mean that is the way we should do them today.  And I find myself looking to the ways of the past. 

It has been a shut in winter of long days of working, days when I never step outside the door.  I need to get out more, feel the sunshine on my balding head.  Put the top down on the Pandavagon* and drive slowly in the fresh air, let the fresh air blow the winter out of my mind.  

I need to walk more.  Walking more is on my list of goals for the year. I need to do it, not because I am failing to do it, but because it is good for my mental and physical being.  

I need to dust off the luggage, pack up and get out of town.  We are going to New York in a couple of weeks, I am very much looking forward to seeing friends, and museums, and the city.  Unless the world falls apart we are going to Iceland in May for a week.  Even if the world falls apart, we should go as long as we can go.  It will do me good to get out of the country for a few days.  

I need to clean off my desks, both at home and in the office that I am only in a day or two now and then, the detritus of work is stacking up.  If only I could hand someone the keys and have my desks cleaned as efficiently as my car.  



* Getting a spring clean above is my little VW convertible, a hardtop convertible.  Shortly after I bought a five foot tall panda took up permanent residence in the back seat, hence it is known as the Pandavagon.  

14 comments:

  1. Iceland in May! Very exciting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should be fun, pretty place

      Delete
  2. Anonymous3/26/2022

    "Brabinger the rumba." Love your work.

    So, Iceland it is. Small country but rather interesting and punches above its weight in fame. Any contacts there?

    I think we need a photo of the car seated Pandavagon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know anyone in Iceland, I had a classmate in college, the last I knew she was still in Florida. I will look for the Panda photo, I know I have a least one really fun one.

      Delete
  3. Hooray for travel plans! How exciting. We are going to NYC in May. It's been three years since we've been there and I can't wait to get back. You will definitely get your walking in there. Maybe start your walking routine there and then keep it going when you get back to DC? I walk every day. Some days are quick walks, others are hikes. The hardest part of starting a walking routine is getting out the front door. Just do it! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to get out of the house more, found days this week I didn't leave the door.

      Delete
  4. New York and Iceland! Two fab trips to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spring is the time to clean and reassess and make plans for the coming months .... IF the world doesn't go to Hell in a handbasket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So this is what a handbasket looks like

      Delete
  6. I'm just sending you hugs because I want to. (((David))) there you go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, it was another grueling week

      Delete
  7. I'm a tiny bit jealous that you will be in NY in two weeks. I'd love to go again and I was just there in October. There is so much to see and do in that city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We get to have lunch with a Blogger while we are there! Train up and back, nice hotel a block from Times Square.

      Delete