Saturday, March 19, 2022

The Saturday Morning Post - In the light


Reading blogs one morning recently I was reminded of several things, a nice ramble. 

One night about 13 years ago, I forgot to set my alarm clock.  I had used a clock radio since my parents bought me one as a christmas gift when I was about 10 years old.  I awoke the next morning with a start, concerned that I was not alarmed to start the day. Then I realized that I was not late, just shocked by the change.  The next day, I didn't have anything early on my calendar, so I didn't set the alarm, and found that I woke up in plenty of time, and more relaxed, better rested.  Over the years I have heard motivational speakers talk about it being an "opportunity clock" trying to convince us that being unnaturally jolted awake is somehow a good way to start the day.  It isn't.  It is how we are conditioned to live.  And You can undo that.  Only rarely, maybe a couple of times a year do I set an alarm, usually because I have an unreasonably early airline flight.  13 years, I have been late to work maybe twice because I overslept.  And I wake up naturally, often with the rising sun.  Try it, maybe you will like it. 

Another blog (one of my favorites but it might be impolite to show favoritism) asked about acts of kindness.  I had a recent example, of overlooking anger and focussing on solving the core issue.  Sometimes we need to turn the other cheek and search for common ground.  This was not a random act of kindness, it was intentional to defuse a tense situation, and get the two of us back headed toward the light of day.  

Another blog posted about bird feeders. Living in a high rise, a bird feeder is against the rules as the detritus drops on the neighbors below.  But over the past two years I have become much more aware of birds.  When I walk, even in the tree outside my bedroom window.  I have overcome my unnatural fear of flighted fowl. No idea where that fear came from, probably watching "The Birds" late at night as a child. As I sit here watching the rising sun, the doves are in the tree, doing what birds do.  

One recent Mural Monday there was a post of a painting of a watch that has no hands and simply says "Now." It is a line from a Jimmy Buffett song, "I bought a watch from the crazy man, it has no hands, it just says now, and it is always right." The past is past, and can't be changed, I make plans for the future, but I see too many people make plans for a future that will never happen, when what we really need to do is live in the now. If the sun rises for you today, that is when you have to live. 

Another of my favorite daily reads posted a series this week about a wonderful house and garden, a couple of acres of garden, a large comfortable house.  It is the kind of house and garden that I couldn't take care of alone, if I lived there I would need a few of the mistresses houseboys and a couple of farmhands.  I don't usually buy lottery tickets, but it can be fun to think what would I do if I suddenly had all of the money in the world.  I usually sleep easily, if I don't it is usually because I need to divert my mind from the day to day decisions.  One way of doing that for me is to think about what would I do if I won the lottery.  Over the years I have come the conclusion, that I don't want the big house, the big boat, the farm. They are too much work, and employing the people to operate and maintain them would take much of the joy out of life.  I want to be able to watch the sun rise without worrying if Bob is going to show up for work to trim the trees today. Maybe this is a sign that I am largely content with what I have, and were I am in life.  And that is a good thing. 

We went out to Mt Vernon last week for a nice walk. The photo above was taken there.  Great light. 


21 comments:

  1. Since I retired 5 years ago, I rarely set my clock radio alarm anymore. I only use it when I have rare early morning appointment or place to be. I like waking up naturally too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does not change how long I sleep by much, but I feel that I sleep better

      Delete
  2. I must and have always set on alarm. I sleep like the dead and don't even hear a phone ring!!! I tend to wake usually, but a minute before it goes off. I'm an extremely deep sleeper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the feeling of waking a minute before the alarm, that still happens on those rare occasions when I set an alarm.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous3/19/2022

    That's interesting about the watch. I did not know. I wouldn't mind a large house and garden if I could afford the lads to staff it, but I think I would find the staff interviewing process exhausting.

    Even though I am retired, I set my alarm. Otherwise I know I would just get up later and later and then be stressed about what I don't have time to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First there would be the interviews, then the uniform fittings, then the performance reviews,
      Don't worry and stress, you are in charge of what you do or don't do.

      Delete
    2. It took me a while to catch on to "I'm retired. I don't HAVE to do anything." I'm the type that likes making time-tables and agendas, even when they're not necessary, but sometimes this becomes nothing more than a clever form of self-torture. These days, I sometimes don't brush my teeth until noon, simply because I didn't feel like doing it earlier.

      Delete
    3. It takes time to relax into being in charge

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the tour around the blogs; some nice stories there are, out there.

    And about hat last remark up there: are you suggesting that I be the tree trimmer???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LoL, I think the Bob I would hire to trim trees would be a 21 year old bodybuilder.

      Delete
  5. I like that alarm clock idea. I think I should give that a try. I used to think a lot about what I'd do if I had a lot of money. When I was younger I thought about having an apartment in London and one in Paris but now I realize what a headache that could be. If I had that kind of money I could stay in any hotel I wanted and let someone else worry about the maintenance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hotel suites, someone else does the housekeeping.

      Delete
  6. Wonderful post, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful, rambling Saturday morning post! Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it was a good day in blogland

      Delete
  8. that was a splendid read; I liked the photo especially
    Thank you for the shout out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That’s a great photo. A great post with so much to ponder. I could never manage to get up for work without an alarm set. But, now, on the rare occasion I DO have to set an alarm, I tend to lie awake much of the night just waiting for it... and then I turn it off before it sends. No, I never did like waking up with a jolt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a big fan of flexible work schedules

      Delete
  10. I long for the day I did not have to set an alarm. I have considered changing my hours to sleep in a bit and wake up naturally, but starting later means ending later :-(

    Sassybear
    www.idleeyesandadormy.com

    ReplyDelete