Thursday, October 01, 2020

Seasons


For some reason I have been thinking about the seasons recently.  I probably have a favorite, but maybe not.  Here are my feelings on the seasons.  

Winter, is a time of rest and renewal.  In this part of the world the deciduous trees drop their leaves.  It is a season on contrasts, and deep shadows. Of late mornings and early nights.  I am not a fan of really cold weather, snow is pretty for a day or so, then the novelty wears off.  When I lived in the semi-tropics I learned to love the subtlety of winter.  The growth of the landscape slowed, the colors shifted from vibrant greens to more subdued shades.  I sometimes felt that I was the only person who recognized that Florida has four seasons.  

Spring is the time of rebirth and renewal.  Spring brings bright, almost violent greens to the landscape.  It is the season for baby birds, and lambs (the world needs more sheep.) Everything grows and changes in the spring, yet there is an immaturity to the world.      

Summer is the season of growth, of warmth, of long days and shorter nights.  Summer is the young adulthood to middle age of life.  The colors reach dark intensity, so green that they become dark. The flowers bloom, and move past blooming to seed or fruit.  

Autumn (fall) is the season of maturity.  As an old farm boy, fall is the season of harvest, and bounty.  In this mess moderate climate, the landscape experiences dramatic changes, with the diverse and vibrant yellows, reds, purples, and browns. The sun rises later, sets earlier, the weather cools from the sometimes stifling heat of summer.  Autumn is the climates equivalent of retirement age.  

Andrew in Australia recently posted a photo of spring bloom, reminding me that the seasons are not tied to months of the year.  I need to spend time south of the equator. 

Are you noticing a change of seasons where you are? 

18 comments:

  1. tree leaves are starting to change and the weather has gotten cooler. autumn is my fave time of year. and YES to more sheep!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Summer is my favorite and very much me. But I love each season and I don't think I could live anywhere else without so distinctly different looking, smelling and feeling seasons. A place that looks the same all the time or changes very little would bore me eventually. Im seeing slight change here, but the Pocono's was ahead of us in foliage change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could see you end up, in the land of perpetual sun.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous10/01/2020

    It very is interesting to equate season with lifetimes and I agree with your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for subtly inspiring this one, with the trees in bloom.

      Delete
  4. Living in Upstate New York means fall brings brilliant leaf changed from greens to brilliant yellows, oranges, and reds. It is a beautiful time of year and my favorite. (That you equate it with retirement, something I look forward to like a dog looks forward to its person’s return, is not lost on me.) It feels like the start of renewal to me..the old will be washed away with autumn rain, covered in leaves and frost and snow, and will go into hibernation before reawakening in spring. I love this weather and all the things that come with cooler temps: sweaters, fires, cocoa, and the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish winter was shorter here.

      Delete
  5. It was 41 degrees this morning.
    Two weeks ago it was in the high 70s in the AM.
    I'm LOVING it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That will bring out the colors in the trees.

      Delete
  6. Sadly no. Our temp today will be 106. Not as hot as summer but still pretty darn hot and about 10 degrees above normal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty place, wonderful winters, but long a brutally hot summers.

      Delete
  7. Different flowers are in bloom (and some deciduous trees are hinting at autumn). But the most obvious sign here for me are the sunrises and sunsets. The clouds are so much more dramatic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The change is subtle in a tropical climate

      Delete
  8. Since I was born and raised in San Diego, I can tell the change of seasons without them being flamboyantly dramatic. I prefer spring and autumn over winter and summer, especially since I no longer live near a beach. It is going to be in the triple digits for the next couple of days. I do believe California now has only two seasons. Fire season and waiting for fire season.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yes -- autumn has arrived here!

    ReplyDelete