Wednesday, March 13, 2019

The Way We Were Wednesday - Flossy

I took this picture in the 1970's, this was my grandmother's sister Florence or Flossy as she was known. She led an interesting and troubled life.  She had a baby out of wedlock in the 1920's - that was given up for adoption.  She was well traveled, had lived abroad and was a long term alcoholic.  She and her husband drank themselves into early graves.  I have often wondered if the events of her teens, haunted her. It was not really her choice, she was pressured into placing the baby for adoption. The family never talked about the baby, my grandmother told me about it after Floss had died, my grandmother never told my father.  Such things were not talked about in good families.  By not talking, her grief was buried and denied.  

Her husband Dick was an executive with a tire company.  At one point their drinking landed the two of them in the hospital for a couple of weeks.  When they were discharged the doctors recommended a change of scene to his employer (who had covered the cost of drying them out.) The employer agreed that a change might be just the thing to help them stop drinking, so they arranged a two year assignment, in Scotland!  Dick gave up drinking beer, and had a new favorite tipple.  

Kind of a downer post.  Flossy was loved by the family, who never really understood what troubled her, and she never talked about it.  


7 comments:

  1. From what you said, it seems that Flossy was indeed haunted by the unfortunate events that happened in her early life. That was an extremely difficult (and unfair) era for unwed mothers.
    A sad story - - but those two years in Scotland must have been interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That life shows in her face. Wouldn’t you love to be able to have a talk with her about it all? Then again, how painful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. same set of circumstances in my family; OMB, we cannot talk about my gay uncle, we cannot talk about my cousin's out of wedlock baby, nor her brother's marriage the day after high school graduation (pregnancy), or any health-related issues. no wonder we are so damn messed up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hidden lives, hidden pain. The story of so many lives.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor Flossie. Our family talked about everything except the molesters and my mother's three abortions disguised as miscarriages. Probably why I have no filter now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I suppose all families had a Flossie; it is hoped such cases are treated better these days.

    ReplyDelete